The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Someone give me some help with this.

2000GTX

Hey guys, I bought my GTX from wowzer with the knowledge of it having a bad IAC. I replaced that nonsense, then the check engine light kept coming on and it turned out to be the MAF and the TPS. So I replaced both of those things, and I'm STILL having issues with the idle. When I start up cold it idles real high at like ~2500 and as it heats up it does the same idle hunting that it used to do when the IAC was bad. Once it heats up completely it idles completely normal. What on earth could possibly be wrong with this thing? Hopefully I explained it well enough. Just in case, here it is again:

Cold start: high idle ~2500 RPM
As its warming up: Hunting Idle that slowly drops to normal idle speed
Completely warmed up: Pretty much normal idle

Parts replaced so far:
Mass Airflow Sensor
Idle Air Control
Throttle Position Sensor

Hopefully one of you experts know what I could try next, because I don't know what to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

2000GTX

Coolant hose should still be hooked up. I did have to get it out of the way to fit the TPS on, but I put it back where I found it.

As far as the BISS screw I'll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks!

dsm10o0

Replace your FIAV (Fast Idle Air Valve) Its the bottom part of the throttle body.

Another thing you can do is block it off. Remove the bottom part, pop out the freeze plug and there you will see a circle plastic thing. Take a needle nose pliers and turn it clock wise all the way til it stops, Then put it all back together and that should solve your problem.

2000GTX

Quoting dsm10o0:
Replace your FIAV (Fast Idle Air Valve) Its the bottom part of the throttle body.

Another thing you can do is block it off. Remove the bottom part, pop out the freeze plug and there you will see a circle plastic thing. Take a needle nose pliers and turn it clock wise all the way til it stops, Then put it all back together and that should solve your problem.

Would this be an issue later on when winter rolls around again? I feel like an engine would have a hard time starting if it's really cold and the FIAV is blocked.

And I have not check the cable itself, but I will the next time I go out to the car.

2000GTX

Or would closing the FIAV possibly cause a knock? Because lord knows we don't want a knock.

KiNgMaRtY

Buy a FIAV block off plate. They are under $20 or replace it. If you block it off just rev the engine yourself to get the engine to warm up faster if need be

DR1665

FIAV delete is a piece of cake. It might be a bit more effort in colder climes, but I found I only had to hold the throttle for about one minute before I could release it and idle when cold. If you're parked on the street, can start the car and immediately start moving (gently, of course), without needing to depress the clutch pedal for a minute or two, you should be good.

2000GTX

Awesome. Just did the delete and it worked like a charm.

I also cleaned out that nasty throttle body. I think it might actually be faster now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Thanks for all the help guys.

galantrevolution

Try replacing the sensor on top of the thermostat housing that manage the cold start if the sensor is bad will idle high and bounce up and Down until warm up

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts