The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Soldering tool

mistaVR4

Hey; all,

I was just wondering if you could give some input in regards to a pocket torch/soldering tool (I've searched all you can find, but most have no reviews). I have one from along time ago from Radio Shack, it still works great except for the tips that are completely worn down. I just can't find the tip(s) replacement parts. If anyone can help with any ideas for the best deal and function for the money, that would be great!

Thanks.

-Steve

BogusSVO

What are you looking to do?

ECU type work on circuit boards and such detail work? Or more in car wire repair, solder/shrink wrap repairs?

mistaVR4

The only one would be for a few electronic device repairs. I'd just like to know the best tool for the job at a reasonable price. If I could find replacement parts for what I already have it would be good. It's just way out of date. Bottom line just asking for the most efficient pocket soldering device.

GSTwithPSI

I have this kit at home click. I use it for most typical solder repairs, but it wouldn't be good for small detail work like ECU boards and such. I like that it is butane and refillable. The tip gets hot fast, and the torch on low works great on shrink tube. I've even used the torch to heat small rusty bolts and get them to loosen up. The solder that comes in the kit sucks, but everything else is good. It's nothing super special, but I've always found it to work well for basic stuff. For the price, can't beat it IMO.

Last edited:

dammitjim

Solding with cheap tools is such a PITA. If possible go with something like a Weller, older Hakko 936 or this newer Hakko:

click

I've got a 936 and it is fantastic. There are off brand versions for less that get decent reviews. If your budget is under $50 I'd go with something like this:

click

Last edited:

gtluke

I've got a butane soldering iron and it's so go damn awesome. It works so well and so fast that I use it ALL the time for any connection. Swap the tip out and 3 seconds later you have a heat gun to shrink the heat shrink tubing. I love it.

mitsuturbo

Quoting AllanL:
i've got something like this.

used it for ecu re-socketing, wiring jobs and shrink tube fitment as well...

Goot soldering iron

Oh, that looks beddy beddy goot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

I use this guy at work. Going on 2 years of issue free use. Its a power probe soldering torch. Not sure how well it would do with circuit boards, but for general soldering and auto work, it can't be beat.

PPPPSK.JPG

mistaVR4

Quoting gtluke:
I've got a butane soldering iron and it's so go damn awesome. It works so well and so fast that I use it ALL the time for any connection. Swap the tip out and 3 seconds later you have a heat gun to shrink the heat shrink tubing. I love it.

Could please provide a to this?

Thanks!

prove it:

Could you also provide the make for this? As well as a link? That would also be awesome!

Everyone else, Thanks a bunch for the links and recommendations. There is definitely a kit here that will fit my needs, just need to make a decision.

strokin4dr

I have experience with a few of the tool truck butane soldering irons and none can beat THIS one for performance, size and price. I'm on my second one in 6 years and it's still going strong.

gtluke

Quoting mistaVR4:
Quoting gtluke:

Could please provide a to this?

Thanks!

prove it:

Could you also provide the make for this? As well as a link? That would also be awesome!

Everyone else, Thanks a bunch for the links and recommendations. There is definitely a kit here that will fit my needs, just need to make a decision.

this is the one I have:
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts