The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

------SOLD----- FS: White '92 953/1K. CO, $6000

Scott Y

Pre-emptive first question: why are you selling it?
Answer: We had an emergency and had to take our daughter to the hospital last week. None of our vehicles were appropriate for the task. I couldn't sit directly beside her in our Mazda5, my wife won't drive the Galant, and the Civic was too small. We quickly realized that we needed to remedy this situation, so I have to sell the GVR-4 to make room for a family truckster.

Second Question: how much?
Answer: I think it's worth $Bazillions, it's nearly a member of the family, but it's just another Galant to the rest of the world. I think $6K is reasonable, and you'll let me
know if that's out of line.

Third Question: what about the car?
Answer: It's a '92, #953/1K. I bought it in October of '00 with 99742miles on the clock. There is now 183068. It runs great, doesn't burn a drop of oil, even after a 15 hour straight drive (which it's done a few times). There's just under 16K on the engine.
AC sometimes doesn't blow cold, but mostly it does so there's probably just a loose electrical bit somewhere that I haven't spent time tracking down. Glass is really good, exhaust is reasonably quiet, doors close and seal well. It is running on E85 right now, as it has been for years. There are 950 injectors that can go with the car if you want to use gasoline. I use the car daily, but will be leaving it in the garage for now until I see if there is interest in it. Interior is in great shape, minus some stitching that has separated on the driver's seat cushion and on the back of the rear seat. Everything works, including the power antenna. EDIT: I need to take a pic of the driver's seat.
I replaced the cable for the driver's side seat belt when it stopped working, and left the motor disconnected from the harness in the B pillar; I just slide under the seat belt instead of having it mouse its way back and forth all of the time.

The current state of things:

Body:
Thule Mitsubishi roof rack w/deflector
Mitsubishi sunroof wind deflector
Front bumper opening cut to allow airflow, but not so much that the vanes are droopy
Foglights removed, cold air ducting to air filter via passenger foglight opening
AC & cruise intact and functional
Battery relocated to custom tray in engine bay, air filter in orig. battery location
license plate holder mounted to driver's foglight mount
there are rock chips on the front

Tuning:
ECMLink v3

Fuel:
JRacing Bosch Uber044 intank, -6an line to rail w/Earls filter, Aeromotive AFPR,F IC Hi-Z1680 injectors, stock return, PLX M-300 WB O2

Engine:
2.0L, stock crank, stock intake mani
Wiseco8.5:1 w/Eagle ESP H-beam rods
Balance shafts removed
Stock head w/crower springs & FP2 cams, 3G lifters, ARP studs
Head o-ring'd, OEM composite gasket
BR20G turbo, FP manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate, PunishmentRacing recirc 2.5" O2 housing, Tial BOV
JoeP manual boost controller
Extreme Motorsports (Griffin) FMIC, 2.5" IC piping, GM MAF in blowthough,

Exhaust:
2.5" Turbo to tip from Bud's Muffler in Denver. New Magnaflow single outlet muffler, hi-flow cat, resonator

Drivetrain:
Jack's Transmission Stage 4.x Premium Build w/4spider & +10% 5th
SBC SS-X clutch with TZ-FE disk
Stainless slave line
ACT Xtreme Flywheel
end-tapped crank w/Supra FW bolts
4 bolt rear, 4WS removed
3Speed scattershield
Mofogus Shifter w 2G weighted knob and MachV bushings

Brakes:
Stainless lines, speedbleeders, Axxis MetalMaster pads

Audio/Electrical
Alpine head unit
PrecisionPower A200.2 Art Series Amp
PrecisionPower PCX-440 Amp
Infinity Perfect 10.1 in sealed enclosure
infinity Kappa 65.5cs X4
DC-AC adapter mounted under pass. front seat wired/fused to battery
Fuel pump rewire
alarm disabled

Suspension:
EVO VIII suspension

Wheels/Tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE950AS, 195-60-15. new condition
original wheels, their finish is getting a bit rough
metal valve stems

Pictures:
There is a picture overload here , pictures from all my years of ownership. Not all of the car, many of the adventures that the car has taken me through.

Last edited:

Scott Y

Additionally, I have a spreadsheet with the maintenance records of when things were done to the car, I tried to cut/paste it but it doesn't format very well.

dsmkid

Tuned by you, or someone else? Dyno #s? Ever been tracked? (auto x / 1/4 mile) Times?

Scott Y

Tuned by: me, with help from fellow DSMers with a specific call out to BigLady112 who donated his tuning expertise on multiple occasions. In that tune the best the car ran was [email protected] at 5800' elevation. It ran consistent mid 12s at 112+, weight w/o me was 3350lbs, it's a full weight car.
I drove to Saskatchewan a few years ago to race a friend of mine, and at that track (1800', Saskatchewan International Raceway) it ran 12.1 @114 with the boost set lower for tuning. Before I could attempt that magical 11sec pass it started raining and the track shut down. That was with an ACT 2600 & ACT street disk.

Prior to this year it had 950 injectors and IDCs were in the high 90s, which prompted the switch to the 1680s which haven't been down a track yet. It also has not made a pass with this combo of SBC pressure plate + TZ/FE disk.

No auto-X, the car has never been on a bendy track, only occasional 1/4 mile test-n-tunes.

The dyno chart I have is from back when the turbo was a B16G on 4/28/2007. At 22lbs it did a corrected 395.61whp, 361wtrq. SAE:1.23, dynojet dyno at MAC autosports in Parker, CO.

biglady112

Good luck Scott. I have been looking for one for some time now. I very well could be picking up my old galant in the near future. I have to pass as I have spent $5000 this week on my truck to try and get it finished. Sorry there is no longer room for it it your family. I know the car has done you guys well. Good luck and I hope everything turns around for your daughter and you guys can get something you need.

Puertorican22

Beautiful ride. Wish this would have been for sale 2 months ago when I bought mine I would have bought this one I really wanted a summit white VR-4. Good Luck with your sale!!!

LIV4PSI

I think your price is very reasonable. Don't let anyone tell you different. GVR4's like yours are getting harder to find.

GVR47111K

IIRC, I've heard great things about the owner of this car as well as the car itself. GLWS

Scott Y

Did a compression test with the engine up to temp.
Right around 120 across the board, for this 6000' altitude that's pretty darn good.
Applying conversion of .839 for altitude (from here ), and it puts compression at 143+.
Pics of the measurements:

cyl1:

cyl2:

cyl3:

cyl4:

Last edited:

5OF2k

Bump for a fellow CO GVR4 owner. This is a helluva clean car, and a helluva deal. GLWS sir!

Okayplayer

I can't believe you are selling this car! Bump for a super clean car! GLWS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts