The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SOLD: '91 Galant VR4 265/2000 $2500 Maryland

splattj

I have a deposit on the car. Should be a done deal by the end of the weekend.

Here's the deal, I bought #265 from a board member less than a year ago. It runs great and has been a blast to drive, BUT I can't get it Maryland inspected so it has to go. I titled it in Michigan but the homeowners association isn't too pleased with me so I have to move the car every two days.

Car has 146,000 miles

Pics can be seen here:
click-fixed
If you want any other more specific pics, just let me know.

You can email me @ jplatt at gmail dot com

Here's the deal with the Maryland inspection woes:
I purchased the car with current PA inspection so I wasn't too worried. I fixed everything I knew to be wrong with the car and took it in for inspection. I got a call 15 minutes later at work telling me they "can't" inspect the car. Step 1 of the Maryland State Inspection is to "record the VIN number from the dash." Guess what, no VIN plate.

Read on for the nitty-gritty:

The BAD:

*The dash is missing the VIN plate (the engraved firewall VIN and the sticker in the door match the title)

*Rust. The body is perfect and the suspension points are all sold. The engine bay is clean too. So the problem? The very front of each of the two "frame rails" have rusted out due to damage in their former lives. The PO put a heavy coat of undercoating on to mask this as much as possible and didn't mention it when I was looking at the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
The floor pans all seem solid.

*The cat is clogged. Two weeks after I bought the car, the exhaust wheel exploded and the pieces are embedded in the cat.

*4WS was bypassed by the PO.

*The hood is white underneath. The original hood met its end smacking the roof before I bought the car. There are two smaller dents from that.

*Minor scratches and some small dents/dings

*Small tear on the driver's seat bolster

*Battery dies if the car isn't driven every three-four days

*Headlights come on with the ignition (I bought it this way, I don't know and haven't tried to fix it.)

*Headliner is a hack-job and looks like crap in the back seat area if you look too closely.

The GOOD:
The body has no rust!
The car is a blast to drive
Starts after only a few cranks
Shifts great
A/C blows cold (as of last fall)

Things done to get the car ready for inspection:
*New FR wheel bearing
*New PowerStop slotted rotors and Hawk Street pads on all four corners
*Tein Adjustable Coilovers purchased from Cy
*Hotbits Camber Plates (didn't want to drill the strut towers)
*2.25 turbo-back with Magnaflow muffler and twin-outlet tip (looks very stock)
*Replaced Trans and both Diff fluids with Redline oil
*New Fuzion ZRi tires up front and a fresh alignment
*Rear Yokohama AVS ES100s have 50% tread

Other Installed goodies:
*660cc injectors
*EVOIII Big16g
*1g shifter
*Keydriver chip
*Palm Datalogger and cable
*Greddy Type S BOV
*MAFT blowthrough setup
*Forge MBC
*93 headlights with HID bulbs
*Slightly older Eclipse Head Unit
*Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" speakers Front and rear running off a PlanetAudio 4ch amp
*Snow tires on stock Galant wheels with 60%+ tread
*Boost, EGT, and Oil pressure gauges (oil not hooked up)
*Momo Competition wheel

I have the stock suspension with some Eibach springs that come with the car as well.
I also have a non-sunroof headliner and replacement interior trim that are yours if you want them.

I just want to be open and honest about the car. You can email me @ jplatt at gmail dot com

Last edited:

Nice car & good luck. Have you contacted the previous owner about the missing vin plate? If you can't locate it, it will cause similar problems for anyone who buys it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a dealer plate but not an extra 2500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif nice car good luck with the sale

twonineseven

I dont see if all the other vin points on the car match up why they wouldn't inspect it... Is there a way to request a duplicate dash vin plate..... sucks man, but it is a nice car

splattj

You can get a replacement plate issued by the State Police, but it's a NEW Maryland issued (not federal) VIN and then you end up with a "special" title. I contacted the PO about it and he claimed to not know anything about it being missing. The weird thing is, there are just two really small holes in the dash where it was held down. If it was pried out it would have torn up the dash, so I have no idea what happened to it.

As far as it causing other people issues, VA and PA inspections are notoriously easy to *cough* get around. Quite a few states have no inspection at all. The title is clean so you get get plates no problem. As far as bypassing inspection in Maryland it will cost you $300-$500 and the State Police are known for setting up stings for that kind of thing. So if you don't have a friend with a shop, good luck.

Last edited:

MMorgan

you're friends suck if they charge you $300-500 for an inspection, $150 for an inspection is what Ive got them for, $200-250 is what I've heard is regular but then again it says you are in rockville so they jack that up. emissions will just give you a waiver. MD is the best. VA is easy but you need to get one every year but I know easy places there too. Isn't the original vin attached to the dash? What do they do if you've replaced your dash for some reason? just go get a dash from crazy rays and keep the receipt in the car. whats the problem you're having with the hoa?

splattj

Yeah, everything is more expensive around here. The original VIN is MIA. The previous owner either doesn't know what happened or is playing dumb.
The VIN need to match the title as it goes on the inspection certificate. I have a clean title for the car that matched the various other VIN stampings and stickers on the car, so I don't know what happened there. The HOA bugs me as it's parked in the visitor's parking since I took out a loan and bought a new DD so I can get back and forth to work. I have to move it at least once a week or they have the right to tow it. I also live across the street from one of the board members and she has waaay too much time on her hands. I swear, never again will I buy someplace with a HOA.

The car would need to be taken to the MD State Police Barracks up near Baltimore to be issued a Maryland VIN that would replace the Federal VIN. Then I would need a new title. It's retarded here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts