The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SOLD- 1992 VR-4, Belize Green, #77/1000, $4000, Asheville, NC

GVR-4

The time has come for me to scale back on projects, so my VR-4 I've had for 13 years is up for sale. I've done lots of work on it over the years and I would say it's probably 80% of the way to where I want it. I wish I had the time to address the remaining shortcomings of the car and get that last 20% completed. I've made it my goal to do any work I've done at a high level and not like a lot of hack jobs I've seen. I really enjoy the car, but I just have too many things to work on around the house, not to mention a family and a career. I will gradually add details to this post as I make the time, but for now here is some high-level information and a few photos I took tonight. Post questions here or PM me. You can also email me.

The car is in really good shape. I have done the following over the years:

new paint
Evo 8 MAS
Keydiver chip
rebuilt tranny with T/E/L 1st, 10% taller 5th, 4 spider center diff
overhauled head
Evo III 16g, port matched
Ported O2 sensor housing
Port matched 2g exhaust maniold
stock bottom end
Cyclone intake manifold
FMIC
663 injectors, perfectly flow matched
89 seatbelt conversion
2.5" turbo back
rebuilt driveshaft
EVO MR Bilstein springs/struts
CFDF clutch
rebuilt pedal assembly
AFPR
Apexi turbo timer
Autometer boost gauge
Innovate wideband
Optima Red Top battery
A/C intact & works well
cruise control intact & works well
front & rear strut tower braces
I am the the 3rd owner
more to come...

Things on my list I planned to address:
crappy JDM front bumper (viable, but needs work)
intermittent starting issue (need to trace relays & replace)
due for tires
OZ wheels are faded & have some rash
replace windshield washer hose
more to come...

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Oh snap 77. I wonder who has the other 77.

GVR-4

Ok, I've had some time to assess the car a bit better and I think the price was too high so I dropped it to $4800. It just needs more work than I originally thought to make it really nice. I discovered some other issues:

More good:
I have lots of spare parts to do almost all the work that is left (e.g.: fender liners, front bumper from a Galant GSX, body panels, etc.)
The car is a great platform to just finish up the things I am not willing to make time to do.
Stainless steel braided brake lines
Stainless steel braided clutch line
Cross drilled rotors
Emblems removed before paint
'91 taillights
Body color matched door handles and molding
No accidents
Walbro 255HD fuel pump
Fuel pressure gauge (mounted on filter)
4 wheel steering has been deleted
4" Amsoil air filter
Turbo XS BOV, recirculated
Port matched 2g throttle body elbow

More items to address:
One of the CV boots is torn, but the joint is in good shape.
The front edge of the hood has some rust from the back side (the second owner was in Minnesota and it has seen a little snow here, but this is NOT a typical rust bucket from the North).
At least one of the calipers is seized, resulting in uneven pad wear.

I can take more photos, give more history and answer any questions with detail if interested. I'll continue to update with things I realize or remember.

Last edited:

T3mp0r

It seems like there have been many of these in NC going up for sale in recent months. Barring major rust underneath it seems like a good fixer. GLWS!

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Oh snap 77. I wonder who has the other 77.

If the other even runs...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If the other even runs...

ISWYDT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GVR-4

TTT.

I just lowered my asking price to $4000. If I can't get $4000, I'll keep the car.

89Mirageman

Is it possible to get some pics of the underside of the car? You mention some rust but the engine bay looks really good IMO. From what I've noticed on most rust buckets is that the metal brackets, strut tops and bolt heads are all corroded. These parts on your car look to be completely rust free.

Most on here cringe (including me) when you mention rust. I really don't think this car has that problem at all.

Partial trade towards an 11 Outlander Sport SE maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GVR-4

Thanks for the bump, Chris. Sorry, but I need to downsize so I'm not interested in any trades.

Here are some more photos as requested by interested parties. I washed it tonight and for the most part it's a nice car. If it does sell, I'll miss it. My eight-year-old daughter said the same thing. I tried to take photos of the dings (one on the trunk lid and on the hood) and they are so minor that they didn't seem to show up in the pics. There are some scuffs on the DS mirror and the underside in all its ugly rustedness. I'll just let the pics do the talking. Some of the wheels were wet when I took the photos.

GVR-4

I remembered I installed ARP headstuds when I put the reworked head on. Also, the car has a 3" catalytic converter and, due to the Cyclone manifold, there is no EGR valve. That may have an impact on inspection in some states. Oh yeah, and the downpipe has a ding in it from a big piece of rip rap that was in the road a few years ago. I didn't actually run it over; I just didn't stop in time. It was in the left turn lane one morning on my way to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

IMO that's not a rust car at all man. It's actually quite clean. Figured you didn't need another car but it's on CL so if you see anybody looking send them my way. Honestly if it sells I'd be all over this car. Haven't owned a GVR4 in a few years now and the itch is back.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts