The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slipping clutch diagnosis help

CarRacer

I'm 100% positive my clutch is slipping in my car but I'd like help getting an idea on what parts I might want to buy before tearing the car apart so I can get it on the road quicker. Slave cylinder is brand new when I installed the new transmission. Clutch and flywheel were both purchased new by myself. Fidanza aluminum flywheel and a 3.2 pp/disk setup. These parts all have 10,000 miles on them, with less than ten launches in that mix.

Car has the normal symptom of wanting to rev in higher gears. The pedal feel has changed with the onset of these symptoms and has gotten easier to push. I'm not sure if that indicates the pressure plate took a sh*t or the disk is dying.

Thanks for any input.

curtis

Sounds like the disk died. You'll need a new disk and a friction disk for the fidanza wheel. If you want a PTT dual disk give me a pm I have a buddy selling one has 2 new disks and the flywheel and pp plate has probably 1000 miles on it since new. He pulled the trans to fix the center diff and while apart replaced the disks then had another problem so he's parting the car out. He told me $750 for the PTT. The trans is already out so could ship the stuff out quick.

On a side note just be thankful this isn't you. click me

Nartanian

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif If CR didn't have AWD that would be him!

Nabeel

Transfer case fools me. I thought clutch slipping. So check it before spending$$$

click

CarRacer

Quoting curtis:
If you want a PTT dual disk

Ugh, don't tempt me. I daily the car and don't plan on making huge power so a twin disk is probably impractical for me. Thanks for the offer though, it sounds good.

Fluid was fresh at time of clutch/flywheel/trans install. I don't think it ever got hot, but I could have missed something. I ordered a new clutch and pressure plate just in case either is toast. I plan on limping it through the week and swapping it over the long weekend. It's gotten more finicky and is starting to slip on any major throttle input. I don't think it's a broken axle as mentioned by chat cru today, as it smells of burning clutch after a few slips and the change in pedal feel still scares me into thinking it is a slipping clutch. Disappointing to say the least after the few miles I've put on this car.

Thanks for the input.

ApexHunter

Quoting curtis:

On a side note just be thankful this isn't you. click me

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif That is hilarious and sad. It's guys like that who prompt manufacturers like Ferrari to sell the Enzo, FXX etc to certain buyers. Lexus LFA is gonna be the same way. I bet with a little coercing from the checkbook the rules bend a little though.

Sorry to threadjack.

JNR

wow, on the video! how do you even accomplish something like that, ha ha...*almost* feel bad for the guy tho, but what a waste of a clutch and who knows what else (judging by this, who know how he drives it).

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts