The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slipping but not the cutch????????

1501 slips under boost bad. We have the clutch out and my teacher said its perfect. We sent the flywheel to be machined and he thinks its going to work. My question is I have read other post that talk about other stuff making it slip. Need help I have to get the car running it needs to be my DD.

solidviper89

I thought that was Wop's for a second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Maybe clutch, weak PP, flywheel. I don't know much about that area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes

If it is 100% postive not your clutch, you probably broke a rear half-shaft. You can break them and it will still stay in the diff and you can't tell it is broken until you grab a hold of the inner joint and try to move it. I recommend you check this anyways for good measure, and it is easy. Just reach under there, grab the inner joint, try to pull it out with you hands, move it up and down, just generally feel if it is in there solidly.

If you have a broken rear axle, do not drive the car. Driving it further with a broken rear half shaft will ruin the center differential in your transmission and can potentially ruin everything else in there if you run it too long.

broxma

Question. When you are at full load, does it sound as if the motor is skipping? Like it is firing normally but you are not going any faster and then at some point after peak torque it seems to regain power, maybe by 6-7K?

/brox

Well it just feels like if i floor the gas it doesent realy go any where. If iam easy on it it will drive fine untill i give it gas to get up to speed.

Terry Posten

Barnes has a good suggestion.

If you have a broken rear axle, the front is the only thing pushing the car and if you give it gas, the viscous clutch will qucikly overheat and you will kill the tranny.

Get the car onto jack stands and see if the rear wheels are spinning. They will turn even if one axle is broke with no load on it but it should spin slower than the front.

You can also put the car in nuetral (again, while the car is in the air) and spin the drive shaft by hand, if the rear tires do not spin, one of the axles are broken.

Barnes

I *think* the viscous coupler survives even though it is working overtime. Although the fact that the car even moves with a broke rear axles means the VC is really taking a beating. The thing that kills the tranny is due to the fact that the center diff is open. The transmission tries to send all the power to the rear wheels because there is no load*. Imagine a FWD car with an open diff. One wheel on ice, the other on dry road. The wheel on ice is gonna spin like hell. In this case, with a rear axle broke, it's as if both rear wheels are on ice, and the fronts are on dry road. So what happens is the driveshaft that goes to the rear diff is going to be spinning WAY faster than it should be trying to send power there. The viscous coupler fights this, and is still trying to send power to the front wheels. As this is happening the spider gears in the center diff are spinning much faster than normal because one output spider is essentially stationary (the front diff) and the other is moving (the rear diff/drivershaft). Normally the spider gears are not moving relative to each other. They only start to spin at all when you are turning the car and the front and rear wheels have different rates of total rotation, and even then it isn't that much. Same goes for your front and rear diff, the spider gears are stationary relative to each other until you make a turn. So the spider gears spinning crazy fast in the center diff start to EAT AWAY the center diff housing and the spider gears where they contact the housing. This is because they have no bearings. They don't have any because you don't need them normally. So all this ground up metal gets puked into your transmission chuttering up the whole freakin thing.

My buddy did this to his car and when he drained his tranny it looked like liquid silver. No way a tranny is gonna be in good shape with all those tiny steel particles floating around.

*The reason there is no load transmitted to the rear wheels is because with one half shaft busted, the rear diff will spin AROUND the spider gear that goes to the good axle. An open diff with one axle busted cannot mechanically transfer load to the other axle. You could also wind up with the same situation of spider gears eating away at the diff housing like stated above. Although it should be even worse on the rear diff because there is no viscous coupler still trying to maintain relatively equal speeds. We never figured out if this was the case with my buddy's rear diff, I suspect it was even worse. However he replaced the entire thing with a 4-bolt because the broken portion of the half-shaft was stuck in the rear diff.

ANOTHER BUSTED REAR AXLE TEST:
This one is really easy. Jack up only the rear of the car, leave the front wheels on the ground. Put the transmission in gear. Rotate one of the rear wheels by hand. If the other wheel spins the same speed in the opposite direction, your axles are fine. If the other wheel doesn't rotate, or at a much slower speed, an axle is busted. Double deluxe test: Have someone hold one of the rear wheels, you try to rotate the other one. If the other person can hold the other wheel still and you can rotate yours, an axle is busted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok well here is the stupid part the tcase and drive shaft are off the car cause the previous owner was gonna do the clutch. My teacher has already looked at everything in the tranny and thats all good.

1990ggsxnj

Were you driving it like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, or just took that all out now to inspect??????????????????????

Last edited:

It was drivin like that we have looked at the gears its fine in there but did it jack other stuff up should i just pull engine and tranny and just replace them or what.

thecman02

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yeah once you hook up the awd it should be just fine.

broxma

So lemme get this straight.....

/brox

Yes me not knowing anything about all wheel drive. I thought it would still run fine and it was the clutch causing it to slip. in that case maybe the po lied to me about how long he had the car and never put in the t case and drive shaft thinking the clutch was bad.

Barnes

What the hell. I wrote all the crap for nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

1990ggsxnj

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif ...Sorry Barnes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts