The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sitting car questions..

nemovr4

Okay well I bought the car from my dad, it has been sitting (outside) for about two and a half years.
Needs a new clutch(taken care of). My question is what should I look for aside from the battery
and the Obvious fluids.??

tyeler18

I'd treat it like a brand new engine. Fresh fluids, drain/flush the tank. Timing belt/waterpump, new plugs, inspect the wires for possible rot. Prime the oil system before starting it etc.

asmo

flush the fuel tank, very easy since they have a drain plug, on mine that sat for 4-5 yrs I unhooked the fuel line at the pump and at the fuel filter and ran compressed air threw the line. also change the fuel filter and do the belts balance and t-belt.

AWDPower

Check the cooling hoses too. It's best to change them all at once. Otherwise, you will keep replacing them one after another. I'd also drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter.

nemovr4

So I will be draining the fuel tank for sure, thanks for the heads up! Transmission fluid, brake fuild, coolant, new high mileage oil, and well fuel I suppose..
I helped my dad do the timing belt and all accompanying parts before it sat for two years so I think that should be okay, but I will check the positioning. As far as coolant hoses, I will check when I get it started and look for leaking and replace as needed...$$$ restrictions.

How can you tell if the 4wheel steering is out? ha
Thanks for the help!!
-Chris

raptorWagon

When your power steering fluid has magically appeared on the ground, the reservoir is empty, dummy light is on, oh and your powersteering doesn't work anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4WS only engages over 30mph.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemovr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Okay thats good to know, I guess I will find out when I get it all back together and started!
^^thanks for the heads up.

tyeler18

Forgot that you'll want to replace the coolant hoses as well. Also make sure there's nothing on that t-belt. 2 years isn't bad on a car that has been driven regularly, but on one that just sits and takes abuse from the elements it can rot out quickly.

Anyone have the link to the thread about removing the actuators to have all time AWS? I can't seem to find it right now.

tyeler18

Thank you sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Time to do the PS rpm limit removal and full time 4ws.

Edit: Just realized there's nothing in there on removing the actuators. That's the 4ws removal. What I was looking for was the actuator removal to make it always 4ws and not just over 30mph.

Last edited:

tyeler18

There was a thread somewhere about removing the pressure actuators and just installing standard straight-thru fittings so it can have constant pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts