The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Silicone elbow for turbo outlet

vtecds1

I know that people have the cast elbow welded on, but has anyone ever use the 90 degree silicone reducer? Any problems with it melting?

4thStroke

I have an ETS 2.5" coupler coming off my 30R compressor. It routes over the top of the FP manifold, and it's a close fit. I've split two of the 3 ply couplers under boost on the inside radius. I have one of their 4 ply couplers on it now and and it's showing signs of wear from the heat, but have never completely melted. I really should wrap it with header wrap or re-clock the turbo, but the second option would require me to rework the piping which I don't feel like spending the money on since I don't have the resources to do it myself.

turbowop

I've had a silicone 45 on mine for years. It's pretty damn close to the manifold and had me a bit worried when I first built the setup, but no issues and it's been a long time.

You can see it pretty well in this pic:

944a90561d68dd2.jpg

Last edited:

vtecds1

4thStroke- Do you have any pics of your setup? Or is it the same as Turbowop`s? Do you have a heat shield on top of that manifold?

Turbowop- Is your`s a 3 or 4 ply? BTW...clean set up!!!

Are you guys daily driving the car or is it a weekend warrior? My current set up runs along the bottom. I wanted to change my setup because the piping has to go up to the cold side. I'm trying to make it to where there is less restriction.

Can't really see the piping, but you get the idea.

I really don't want to change it up because I have to start hacking away some more material...and it's more money I have to put in this car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif My other option is to flip the endtank so that the hot side will be in the bottom and the cold side will be in the middle. Do you guys think that by flipping it around will affect the air flow?

Last edited:

turbowop

It's been so long since I put together this setup that I can't remember where I purchased my elbow. I wanna say it's 4ply, as I was worried about strength/heat in that area, but I can't remember for sure. And 1051 is just a weekend warrior. That's a lot of weekends since '03 for that elbow to hold up though, so it's done well.

4thStroke

I don't believe I have any pictures at the moment, but it is very similar to turbowop's setup. It's just a 90* to accommodate my piping.

Mine is a driver, so it sees a lot of elevated engine bay temperatures.

mikus

+ don't even waste time on questionable silicon products - the ebay type junk is far easier to melt than you'd even think it was.

side note, y'alls engine bays are looking nice, showoffs.

vtecds1

^^^So is that a no on the silicone reducers? Or no to buying them on ebay?

BTW...thanks on the engine bay comment. I wish mine had a little more "bling" to it though.

mikus

no on ebay/sources that aren't 100% credible. i've melted a few no-namers, it didn't take much.

vtecds1

^^^Gotcha...

Quoting RedTwo:
Have you considered normal radiator hose?

Never though of it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only thing is that I would need one that goes from 2" to 2.5".

vapid

Don't like what they have at Touge Factory?

vtecds1

I actually forgot about them. I`m going to give them a call first thing in the morning. Thanks...

boostin4door

Had a silicone elbow from ExtremePsi[great quality] for years w/no problems.
had to go a welded elbow when i went to a alum. radiator[thicker than stock], for space.

boostedinaz

^^^
That's where I got mine from.

Had a silicone 2" to 2.5" 90 degree elbow on my Talon for years and it work very well in the downward facing poistion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned