The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sideways pictures

James

Why in the hell do pictures I upload from my phone post sideways only on this websites.

WHY IS MY BUNNY PICKLES SIDEWAYS

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
That's the way it is actually stored in the file. You would get the same thing dumping it into windows.

I have the code queued up to read the orientation EXIF but the graphics library I used back in, oh, 2004 when I made the image upload doesn't support rotating the stream and would require that it be written to disk first. I didn't feel like wasting the IO so I shelved it for a rainy day.

James

But not every picture does it. That's what confuses me. I take 99% of my pictures with the phone right side up like normal. Not sideways or anything.

All three pictures posted in this thread were taken the same way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
All three?

Uh.

Anyhow, I'm telling it how it is. The site isn't turning any pictures, just showing the raw jpeg. If it is stored that way, that's what it shows. Many devices correct the orientation on display, the site does not. Sorry. Will fix it soon.

Jesus_Negros

The 3rd pic is so mindfucking me right now!

marvinmadman

figured I would post this just to confirm that pics do get turn sideways. This was my first encounter. Verizon Galaxy S3 on LTE, 4.1.2, Chrome browser if that helps...

marvinmadman

Screenshot shows correct orientation and uploads it correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

marvinmadman

Original pic is a 2.5MB JPG. Screenshot is a 1.5MB PNG

fuel

I would say it's your phone at fault.. the original photo, even though the phone/camera was pointed in 'portrait mode' while taking the photo still would have actually snapped the photo in 'landscape' orientation and has the information in the image meta data that it needs to be rotated x amount of degrees to be viewed. Your phone gallery is doing just that, as does Windows explorer etc. The forum doesn't, and it shouldn't need to. If you take the photos in landscape mode to begin with you wouldn't have the issue.

James

I understand why it does it. I don't understand why it only does it on half of my posted pictures. I take 99% of my pictures the same way.

cheekychimp

Quoting fuel:
I would say it's your phone at fault.. the original photo, even though the phone/camera was pointed in 'portrait mode' while taking the photo still would have actually snapped the photo in 'landscape' orientation and has the information in the image meta data that it needs to be rotated x amount of degrees to be viewed. Your phone gallery is doing just that, as does Windows explorer etc. The forum doesn't, and it shouldn't need to. If you take the photos in landscape mode to begin with you wouldn't have the issue.

I think you are right but it is frustrating that most computers (PC or Mac) clearly have the ability to distinguish which way a photo should be displayed but don't communicate this info when uploading. I presume the meta data file includes info from gyro sensors or half the portrait photos I take would be upside down.

I recently downloaded pictures from my camera to the desktop prior to uploading to the website. There were a selection of both landscape and portrait shots and they displayed in the correct orientation on the screen. When I uploaded them however every portrait shot was rotated 90 degrees. I went back to the desktop rotated the pictures 90 degrees, saved them and uploaded them again. No dice, still off 90 degrees! Go back, rotate to the correct orientation on the desktop save the picture again and upload and everything is hunk dorey.

Essentially therefore you need to manual rotate photos to the correct orientation and then save them as a new file in order to 'tell' the PC that yes you do actually want them displayed like that, even though it seems to understand that in the first place.

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Migration to a new server that has more advanced image manipulation capabilities is coming very soon. May have been this weekend, but our 1.3 TB of hosted images would fit on this here 931 GB disk.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts