The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Side effect of not depressurizing the fuel system

Brunoboy

I read all over the place that you have to depressurize the fuel system when taking out any fuel component, like fuel rail or injectors, if I didnt do it. whats the side effect?
-shane

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^Pretty much what he said.

It's worth noting that even after you've taken the primary pressure off the system (released the pump pressure), the system can repressurise itself (on a small scale) just from temperature variations in the shop.

I strongly recommend that you twist the gas cap back to where it isn't sealing the tank anymore, to prevent fuel from creeping out of the open system when the vehicle is un-attended.

I've seen several instances where techs leave for the day and when they come in the next morning, their line caps are laying on the floor and there is a pool of fuel under the vehicle.

That has the potential to turn out poorly, depending on how the shop is heated. If you use torpedo style heaters...

...you're going to not even know what happened, and might wake up dead... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Liquid fuel isn't so dangerous, it's the vapors that'll ignite. The flamable concentrations will generally occur near the floor, but may extend as high as two feet under the right/wrong circumstances.

If you leave the filler flap open, it'll remind you to tighten the cap after your fuel system service is completed.

cliffs

Take fuel seriously.

Plug the ends of the lines, clean up spills with a rag, and place that rag outside the shop to dry.

Pop the gas cap loose while the system is open to prevent the system from building pressure.

G

Staff member
Quoting Andy_S:
High-pressure fuel spray in your face.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CarRacer

That's very good advice Toybreaker gave.

An easy way to depressurize the system is unplug the fuel pump and start the car. That's what I do and it helps keep the mess to a minimum. I usually use the cotton rags in a box, and when I deal with gas or other flammable materials I put the used rags in a plastic bucket outside. They work great as kindling for the burning barrel at my parents farm.

Brunoboy

Oh I always just pull the line off the regulator, lol I thought it was gunna damage a componnt that's all... Thanks guys.
-Shane

Question. If I don't get any squirting when I crack a line, I most likely have a bad pump drain back check ball/restricted fuel filter, correct?

Brunoboy

mine doesnt leak fuel if i pull the line, it doesnt squirt or anything. this is bad?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned