The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Should I replace this pan?

lowcashleblanc

After I spent some time removing all the old RTV I could, I noticed some cracks/damage inside the oil pan. My gut says to replace it. Should I?

It looks like it could be from age and vibration and not a forceful fracture. My balance shafts have been deleted, could this be a side effect from the increase in vibrations?

I plan to hold on to the old one and use it for a side project. An extended capacity pan with some oil control features sounds fun and a busted pan is a good opportunity for that.

Pics of the pan.

9C45352B-9D6F-4796-A96A-1181588B65D8.jpegF4E59AC1-D0B2-406C-8809-7F78716C580E.jpeg

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I doubt there's a chance that's balance shaft related- they only exist to save vibrations from your seat- Mitsubishi sold tens of thousands of Sirius platform engines with no balance shafts from the factory.

That said, it looks repairable, but you can get a non-OEM brand new pan for $60 so unless you have cheap & easy access to a welder, that's probably the better option.

IMO the fitment issues with the Moroso combined with the cost make it less appealing, and the knockoff has major QC issues so YMMV.

I like an OE replacement pan with a welded on turbo drain fitting (since my turbo is ball bearing and doesn't need a ton of oil return it's -10). I also have a baffle welded on my oil pickup tube which I recommend, but if you can't find someone making the plates to weld on, you have to fab something entirely yoursel for that

lowcashleblanc

I doubt there's a chance that's balance shaft related- they only exist to save vibrations from your seat- Mitsubishi sold tens of thousands of Sirius platform engines with no balance shafts from the factory.

That said, it looks repairable, but you can get a non-OEM brand new pan for $60 so unless you have cheap & easy access to a welder, that's probably the better option.

IMO the fitment issues with the Moroso combined with the cost make it less appealing, and the knockoff has major QC issues so YMMV.

I like an OE replacement pan with a welded on turbo drain fitting (since my turbo is ball bearing and doesn't need a ton of oil return it's -10). I also have a baffle welded on my oil pickup tube which I recommend, but if you can't find someone making the plates to weld on, you have to fab something entirely yoursel for that
I do have a welder, but have not completed my set up yet. Repairing it immediately isn't an option unless I out source it. New pan it is! I'll be switching to AN to replace the aftermarket rubber hose and barb setup that is there currently. Hopefully -10 should be plenty for a 16g.

I did not like what I was reading about the Moroso pans, I appreciate your opinion on it. Making a mini project out of the busted pan sounds fun and a good way to dust off the welding skills.

Do you have photos of your baffle mod or a thread you can direct me to? Is it anything like the kiggly pick up mod?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts