The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Should I buy this?

WiSu

A galant vr4 is for sale, the guy wants $4000.
1 owner car
97k original miles.
Manuals and everything are still there.
Car was sitting for the past 11 years, but the car is running now. ( I test drove it and it seems to be fine.)
No rust on the car, and the paint and overall body is pristine condition. (can't expect perfect from an 18 year old car.)

My only concern, timing belt should be done soon, and the engine would probably need a rebuild very soon.
Needs new tires, and probably want to flush out the fluids and everything. Get new rotors and brakes, and just the regular things here and there.

The car's only mod is a 16g turbo, making this car still a stock car technically.
However, spending about 6 k or so just to have a completely nicely done vr4, don't know if its worth it, but it is calling me badly.

Badge number is 266/200.

timing belt change is normal... rebuild? my car has 150ish k miles. sounds like a good deal to me. shift fine? hows clutch feel? check oil? and service info?

Sound like a good deal to me also. It's hard to find these in good shape and taken care of. Mine was hacketed like you would'nt beleive now I'm on the way of putting her back together.. 4K great deal IMO..

Last edited by a moderator:

Buy it, end of story. Post pics when you do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rausch

If you don't buy it, plz forward the info? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

Get it, stock cars are hard to find. It's a clean canvas to paint on.

Terry Posten

Why do you think it needs rebiult?

TB service is only $200 for parts and 5 hours of your time.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I too recommend against just assuming the engine is going to need to be rebuilt soon. As long as the compression tests good, leave well enough alone. Just be sure you take it to a garage that is very experienced with 4G63 timing belt issues, so you don't end up with bent valves 2 weeks down the road.

JNR

Oil can get acidic when it sits for years, so hopefully he stored it properly? But, yeah compression test and running it (new fluids) should be fine.

I'd be worried more about the other areas of the car; such as tires, brakes (seals/fluid), oils and so on, sitting so long. where was is stored? Moisture (condensation) can do a number, as well...you may be alright, but good bargaining tools

toybreaker

iconoclast
Pull the oil filler cap and eyeball the cams.

Eleven years is long enough for all the oil to drain off the cams and for corrosion to set in. If you see rust/ scale on the cams it's a bad sign you find more internal engine problems shortly.

If it looks good, change the oil and filter, do some maintainance and give the motor a chance, it might pleasantly suprise you.

While checking the car over, be sure to thoroughly check the rubber brake hoses, especially in the rear. These deteriorate over time, and finding a bad one in motion is no fun.

Woody

My first galant that i bought in 04 had 76k miles on it in perfect condition, the seals in the turbo was bad, but i got it for 4k and up to this day i regret selling it. Go ahead and pick that cer up.

1gnasty

that is a great deal i wish i had my galant back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jepherz

Staff member
He said the car is running now, so any damage from rusty/corroded internals has already done the damage it's going to do. Like above, check compression and if it's all good, leave it alone.

BUY that car!

mistaVR4

I'll have to agree! Pick that baby up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What color is it?

s_firestone

Replace all the normal rubber that will like have begun to dryrot. You may need tires and the spare will probably be flat. Then start with the radiator and heater hoses, and the short turbo water hoses and sandwich cooler hoses. Check the intake snorkel/turbo hose and intercooler hoses to make sure the rubber is still pliable and not cracking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned