The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shop installation of Innovate LC1

VR_IV_MR

Hey I think im going to tell them to uninstall the stock front o2 sensor and install the lc1 in the front spot. but i dont have a rear o2 i think it was eliminated? are there any other special instructions i should give the shop when installing it?

btw which wire do i tap into on the ecu---- i would search but im at work

steve

GVR4 does not have a rear o2.

VR_IV_MR

ah ok i thought mine was taken out b/c i didnt have a cat either.... so put it in the front and use a narrowband sim?

GVR4_1057

Yes, What you said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rausch

Actually you should plug the front O2 post, and have a bung welded in about 18" from the turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Install in front (only) o2 location and use the narrowband sim output. You'll connect that to pin #4 on the ECU. Make sure to CUT the wire presently there so you're not feeding 2 signals into the ECU.

Quoting Rausch:
Actually you should plug the front O2 post, and have a bung welded in about 18" from the turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually no you shouldn't, not if you're going to use the wideband to simulate the front o2 sensor. Normally, that would be correct.

Rausch

Hmm...Really? I don't understand how that would be of any benefit... If the sensor itself functions properly at a given distance, why does it need to be in a different location when using the controller to simulate a narrow band signal? I was also under the impression that the added heat form being mounted so close shortened the lifespan of the sensor....

Maybe I'm just missing something here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CarRacer

I left my front one in and welded in a bung around the 18" mark. I also don't see the difference in the location for simulation. If your stock O2 is working I don't see the reason for eliminating it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Quoting Rausch:
Hmm...Really? I don't understand how that would be of any benefit... If the sensor itself functions properly at a given distance, why does it need to be in a different location when using the controller to simulate a narrow band signal? I was also under the impression that the added heat form being mounted so close shortened the lifespan of the sensor....

Maybe I'm just missing something here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The rate at which the ECU and o2 sensor talk to eachother will be off if you sim the front o2 from a normal wideband location or from the rear o2 location on a 2g. Unless you have the ability to directly access the STFT and o2 feedback settings you're best off installing it into the stock o2 location.

jepherz

Staff member
As far as I know, a narrowband sim sensor just outputs between 0 and 1 volts DC. Any rate that you're talking about would be the sampling rate of the stock ecu, which then won't be affected since it should be outputting a steady voltage, and certainly not by the distance the sensor is placed from the exhaust source.

Can you clarify your statement, Jesse?

Last edited:

VR_IV_MR

i know what hes talking about i saw it somewhere on the ecmtuning website but the reason i was planning on using the front o2 sensor location was because my front o2 was only cycling between .02 and like .7 so i figured instead of replacing it i could use the narrowband sim and save a little money.

but now that i know i can use the front o2 and i dont have to weld im going to attempt installation myself

trying to find copper

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts