The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter Cable Adjustment

Specter

Can any one kindly guide me on the basics of shifter cable adjustment. I have recently swapped out a gearbox (my car is fwd) and now i need to adjust the shifter cable. The Situation was, after doing all the work, the gears were shifting very smoothly, infact it was working like a short shifter. The only problem was that, when i shifted in 2nd or 4th gear and released the clutch pedal, it would grind, meaning 2nd and 4th gears did not connect. Rest of the gears were smooth. I tried to correct this issue, but while doing so, i have gone completely out of the path. Now the situation is that, i cannot shift into reverse, i can shift into all the other gears. But shifting in other gears is rough, not really smooth. I did not adjust anything else, just the shifter cables. Everything else is working fine. Just need a guide on how to properly adjust the shifter cables to have smooth shifts.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Specter

Oh and just to add, when i shift for reverse, the shifter does not get stuck, it goes all the way, but the trans goes in 4th gear rather than reverse.

Specter

^^ There is only one topic on that site about the cable adjustment and that is not in great detail either, that is why i posted the topic here on the first place, thinking that some one might have an article or something which will help me adjust them.

atc250r

Staff member
I've only had to fool with it once or twice but I just adjust them until they reach the pins on the shifter end and slip on easily.

John

Muskrat

Quoting Specter:
^^ There is only one topic on that site about the cable adjustment and that is not in great detail either, that is why i posted the topic here on the first place, thinking that some one might have an article or something which will help me adjust them.

That article says pretty much all you need to know. Maybe if you had specific questions?

fivestardsm

Unless some one has already messed with them initially, you should never have to adjust them. The only reason that the adjustment would be out of wack, would be because of worn bushings either on the shifter base,the shifter assembly, the shifter bracket on the trans, or the cable end bushings. I would suggest looking at these wear points before just randomly adjusting the cables.

However, the simplest method is to just move them in small increments to get the patterns to line up where you have a happy medium when you shift it in to gear. It might take a few times to get it right though.

Specter

Hmm, i will try to look at the bushings too. Okay regarding a specific question, how should the cables be aligned from the shifter bracket on the gearbox, to the arms. Should it be straight, or should it be descending from the shifter bracket, what should be its exact location. I am feeling that one of the cables has very strict movement on my gearbox which leads to having the gears a bit rough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts