The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter/base bushings

MellowVR4

I have a dumb question but, For those with brass shift linkage bushings and solid shifter base bushings experience any excessive transmission noise? especially when you remove the center console and drive with it off?? I would think the console insulates most of the noise, but just curious on everyone else experiences...

Thanks for any input on this..

tektic

Yes there is an audible difference. With the shift boot on it quiets a little, But its not that big of a difference to begin with. I have an aluminum flywheel that I suspect was also contributing to noises. I have removed it and am going to be putting it back together this week so ill let you know at the end of the week.

MellowVR4

Thanks man, please lmk...Mines make noise, normal noise you can say. But my trans is rebuilt with new cables. Kind of sounds like one of those rally videos when they have the camera in the car... but not as aggressive!

MellowVR4

How do you properly adjust the shift cables? when do you know when you have them set right?

MellowVR4

Has anyone used these vs the brass one and notice a difference? click

KiNgMaRtY

I've had them all along with a real Symbroski kit. They basically just hold the shifter base to floor with solid mounts rather than the rubber mounts. Audibly, there is not any difference, very minimal if any, in everyday usage unless perhaps you have your windows closed, radio off and oem exhaust to attempt to hear the difference.

tektic

I was leafing through the FSM and saw there is a secton that goes over the whole alignment process. Check it out. I know when I set up mine I was missing some special spacers and such. It made it impossible to go into reverse.

MellowVR4

I did see the one on VFAQ, and I followed the directions. Since the OEM vr4 cables only has one adjustment on the left cable, I cant seem to get the right cable to be straight, it gets cocked once I remove it from the arm just the like the vfaq pics show.

KiNgMaRtY

The majority of the good base bushings have a groove that will seat inside the base of the shifter base so it will center it.

MellowVR4

My main question leans more towards the cable bushings with the noise issue that i'm having. I have brass right now and wondering if by having brass would increase the amount of noise that the trans produces? vs the stock rubbers..

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Any less damped vibration will increase noise propagation. Less rubber, less damping.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned