The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sending unit plug, getting hot...

SleepinGVR4

What would cause the actual plug on the sending unit to get hot. Fuel pump working harder than it should? Yes it is rewired. And the pump is a supra pump.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Check your ground circuit as a possibility.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sure, but look at the ground(s) for the original circuitry as well.

Yao

bad relay, bad pump, plugged pump/filter, bad ground, too small the wire, bad connections, and yes, it will melt the relay if gets hot enough or pump would die, ask me how I know :p

jepherz

Staff member
if the PLUG is getting hot, there is too much current or too much resistance at THE PLUG.

Rausch

+1 Two highest probabilities: Poor/insufficient ground, or Pump failing/working too hard and drawing mucho current.

gtluke

The plug is poo, mine melted years ago and I bypassed it. It's not a bad ground or bad pump.

Rausch

^ As in the plug makes for crappy connections? That makes sense as well. I guess I assumed that if the plug was making as good a contact as it could, and the ground was either bad or the pump was drawing too much current, the weakest connection would show it first.

However, if the plug is only carrying the signal and ground for the rewire relay, then there really should not me much load there at all. Bad ground elsewhere would have all the current trying to get to ground through the plug, yes?

stevep

Quoting Rausch:
I guess I assumed that if the plug was making as good a contact as it could, and the ground was either bad or the pump was drawing too much current, the weakest connection would show it first.

However, if the plug is only carrying the signal and ground for the rewire relay, then there really should not me much load there at all. Bad ground elsewhere would have all the current trying to get to ground through the plug, yes?

The fuel pump connector carries the power, ground and level sender voltage. Since the Denso Supra pump can draw 20A (twice the stock pump) or more, any contact resistance will cause heat and possible melt the plug.

People usually melt the cheap fuse holders before they melt the pump connector.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned