The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

seafoam

boostedinaz

Quoting Jesse_W:
I sucked mine in through the Bov line.. Used 1/2 a can.

Jesse

Still not sure how that much crap got past the rings into the oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ktmrider

Also depending on how gunked up the combustion chamber is the spark plugs can foul so plan on replacing them.

BTW I swear by Seafoam, great product.

Quoting boostedinaz:
Quoting Jesse_W:
I sucked mine in through the Bov line.. Used 1/2 a can.

Jesse

Still not sure how that much crap got past the rings into the oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yea and honestly im not sure the car like i said had higher miles.. Didnt smoke or anything and ran fine after the turbo was changed. The guys At forced performance ask me if i had sand in my oil haha.

I also had another friend do this last month and ended up killing his Pte6031.. and honestly its not like Giant chunks its just gritty and feels almost like sand. I'd say for a car that was newer/did it often wouldnt have that much of a problem.

Jesse

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting yeti:
is there anything bad that can happen when attempting this

just a quik list of what not to do.

so far i got

dont let the hose become submerged in seafoam when sipping it or the engine will stall

dont do this unless the engine is hot.

dont let it sit for more than 15mins?

run till all smoke stops coming out.

then do immediate oil change??

Please do not attempt this procedure.

thedsmguy

I use to do this back when it was Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner or MCCC treatment. Mopar/Dodge actually sold a solution to feed your motor you can also use plain old water.

yeti

I would like to do this on my camaro every time I look in the oil cap it looks like mud its really bad.
Why do I continue to hear it can kill the engine by some people
Is it that if the car is really full of carbon that all the loose carbon flowing threw your engine seizes it?

turbowop

This won't fix what you see when looking into the hole beneath the oil cap. It's a combustion chamber/valve/intake cleaner. The crankcase is separate.

All the more reason why you shouldn't be attempting such a procedure. You need to understand what you're getting yourself into first.

Last edited:

dsm10o0

I did this earlier and my water pump went south from the revving. -__-

dsm10o0

my water pump was going bad already and never revved it pass 4500rpm, when i was doing the seafoam, i revved the motor to like 7k and started pouring coolant all over the belt side. lol

Last edited:

turbowop

Why would you rev the motor to 7k while doing a Seafoam treatment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Some of you guys should put the tools down and step away from the car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

IB I twist some panties with that last comment.

4thStroke

Seafoam can help with emissions. I recently had a friend who bought an older 300ZX that barely failed emissions. He ran half a can of Seafoam through it and it passed without a problem. It won't always be the saving grace, but it can't hurt.

Quoting turbowop:
This won't fix what you see when looking into the hole beneath the oil cap. It's a combustion chamber/valve/intake cleaner. The crankcase is separate.

All the more reason why you shouldn't be attempting such a procedure. You need to understand what you're getting yourself into first.

Turbowop is right, not to mention Seafoam is viscious stuff, found it can cause more problems than it fixes... Get some mileage out of her while doing general PM stuff before you decide to pull out big guns. it could free up rings, i've seen it lock up a motor for good.

boostedinaz

Quoting turbowop:
Why would you rev the motor to 7k while doing a Seafoam treatment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Some of you guys should put the tools down and step away from the car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

IB I twist some panties with that last comment.

I agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Quoting stlgvr4:
Quoting turbowop:

Turbowop is right, not to mention Seafoam is viscious stuff, found it can cause more problems than it fixes... Get some mileage out of her while doing general PM stuff before you decide to pull out big guns. it could free up rings, i've seen it lock up a motor for good.

How did just adding Seafoam to a motor lock it up for good?

boostedinaz

From my experiance I don't see how the motor could suck enough in quickly enough to hydrolock the motor. Most the time if I submerged the hose completely it would stall the car immediatley.

jepherz

Staff member
Maybe, but I think the possibility is still there. Certain vacuum ports may suck in more fluid, different cars may have more vacuum, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts