The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

seafoam

Brunoboy

So has anyone used this in their car? I bought a can to clean out my intake system but I do not know which line to put it in. Anyone that can tell me how to use it, the help would be appreciated. Thanks
-Shane

boostedinaz

I always make sure the car is warm first. I use the brake booster line and let it gently suck up about half a can then turn the car off and let it sit for maybe 20 minutes. Start it up and let the smoke show begin. I usually take it on a short freeway trip until all the smoke goes away and you're done.

Brunoboy

oh geez, how long does the smoke show last? and which line is that?

When i did it i used my BOV line. But make sure when you do it once the smoke show stops change your oil!.. I lost a brand new t28 on my 2g because of it breaking carbon loose from the intake and went through the turbo and killed the bearings.

Jesse

Brunoboy

good to know, so just let the line suck it in?

boostedinaz

Quoting brunoboy:
oh geez, how long does the smoke show last? and which line is that?

Depends on how dirty the internals are. On 1101 it lasted for a good 20-30 minutes until it was all gone. On my GTO it lasted mayeb a minute or two.

Quoting Jesse_W:
When i did it i used my BOV line. But make sure when you do it once the smoke show stops change your oil!.. I lost a brand new t28 on my 2g because of it breaking carbon loose from the intake and went through the turbo and killed the bearings.

Jesse

I'm a bit confused on this. I can possibly see a big chunk of carbon going through a turbo and hurting it, I just don't see how changing the oil would help remedy that?

Andy_S

Quoting Jesse_W:

Jesse

Did you also put Seafoam in the crankcase?

Brunoboy

which line is the brake booster?

boostedinaz

The brake booster is the big balck round container on the the frire wall in front of the driver. Pull the like off of that. Be careful as sometimes they can be old and brittle. Also it be a big vacuum leak so let the car sort out the idle before you suck in the seafoam.

Don't just submerge the line in or it will stall the car and nothig will happen. You have to hold it a little above the fluid and let it gently suck it into the line. Once you start doing it you'll get a feel for it.

DR1665

Quoting Fatty McButterpants:

You have to hold it a little above the fluid and let it gently suck it into the line. Once you start doing it you'll get a feel for it.

The more you do it, the shinier it gets, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doing a Seafoam treatment is a cakewalk. All you're doing is letting the engine sip Seafoam through a straw. When it gets through about half the bottle (as stated previously), you let the engine chug, stall, and sit for a few minutes. The smoke screen is the most troublesome part of the process. Your neighbors might have something to say about it.

The resulting megalith of billowing white smoke will probably be large enough to obscure vision beyond 10-15 feet. It will be a smoke screen as big as a house stretching halfway down your block. You can probably play it off like "WHOA! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" if someone says anything, but I prefer to do my Seafoam treatments very late at night.

YMMV.

boostedinaz

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

dsm10o0

Would using seafoam help pass smog?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Jesse_W:</font><hr />

Jesse

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

I'm a bit confused on this. I can possibly see a big chunk of carbon going through a turbo and hurting it, I just don't see how changing the oil would help remedy that?

When i did this it was on a Talon with 140k miles.. it broke so much sh*t loose it turned my oil in a grity mess. When i changed the oil i could literly dip my fingers in the oil and feel the grit from all the crap that came out. Seafoam is a cleaner it is made to clean out depostis carbon build up ect.

Here is some info from there site

Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil &amp; Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged &amp; Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

Only mine happend after 20 miles.

Brunoboy

Quoting dsm10o0:
Would using seafoam help pass smog?

no but i think E85 does lol

alansupra94

Yeah E85 will let you pass with flying colors. I will be making a thread on how I passed lol.

boostedinaz

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Jesse_W:</font><hr />

When i did this it was on a Talon with 140k miles.. it broke so much sh*t loose it turned my oil in a grity mess. When i changed the oil i could literly dip my fingers in the oil and feel the grit from all the crap that came out. Seafoam is a cleaner it is made to clean out depostis carbon build up ect.

Here is some info from there site

Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil &amp; Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged &amp; Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

Only mine happend after 20 miles.

So did you poor it in the oil or suck it into the combustion chamber?

yeti

is there anything bad that can happen when attempting this

just a quik list of what not to do.

so far i got

dont let the hose become submerged in seafoam when sipping it or the engine will stall

dont do this unless the engine is hot.

dont let it sit for more than 15mins?

run till all smoke stops coming out.

then do immediate oil change??

yeti

Quoting alansupra94:
Yeah E85 will let you pass with flying colors. I will be making a thread on how I passed lol.

really!?!

Quoting yeti:
is there anything bad that can happen when attempting this

just a quik list of what not to do.

so far i got

dont let the hose become submerged in seafoam when sipping it or the engine will stall

dont do this unless the engine is hot.

dont let it sit for more than 15mins?

run till all smoke stops coming out.

then do immediate oil change??

Sounds about right btw there is no sipping it will suck a can dry in a couple seconds.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts