The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Saturn alternator w/ relocation kit fitment

NateCrisman

Has anyone here used the Jay Racing alternator relocation kit in a GVR4 using the saturn alternator that is supposed be be better? I have the engine out of my GVR4 project and could really use the additional clearnace in front of the alternator for lower ic pipe fitment as well as having some working room for assembling my external wastegate/o2 housing if need be.

I'm pretty set on the relocation kit, but was wondering if it's worth doing the saturn alt at the same time since the relocation kit is different and Id have to redo the wiring anyway. If the saturn alt helps the frame/pulley clearance that's also a plus since that seems to be a hit/miss thing on how clearances stack up.

If anyone also has info on wiring of the saturn alt, please share.

Last edited:

curtis

NateCrisman

Thanks for the links. I'v been searching around, I just haven't found anyone that's done the saturn alt WITH the relocation kit. Seems either or. Im mostly interested in if the saturn alt behind the block gives more/less clearance. If it's more clearance, Ill do it. If it's less clearance, Ill use an oem alt.

I don't have any stereo system or really any specific need for a higher amp alternator, I just figured since Im buying the relocate kit and redoing the wiring that the saturn alt might have a space benifit.

THEKID

i have the jays racing relocation kit and i mocked it up just to heck fitment and its a sweet part. i also am using this alternator 150 amp alternator

turbowop

Don't the factory alternators usually last longer when relocated to the back of the block since they're away from the heat of the manifold/turbo at that point? I thought that was one of the main reasons for the relocation kit, other than space. If it were me, I'd relocate a factory one back there and see how it goes. If it ends up going bad anyway, then try a Saturn or Subaru option. I have AC, so I will probably never relocate mine. It's doomed to heat death for as long as I own the car.

Brianawd

The new bosch I put on my car last week is rated at 140amps. Part# is AL4006HO

click

I with I could move my alternator to the back but I to like mark still have working ac.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
Don't the factory alternators usually last longer when relocated to the back of the block since they're away from the heat of the manifold/turbo at that point? I thought that was one of the main reasons for the relocation kit, other than space. If it were me, I'd relocate a factory one back there and see how it goes. If it ends up going bad anyway, then try a Saturn or Subaru option. I have AC, so I will probably never relocate mine. It's doomed to heat death for as long as I own the car.

yes, there really is no "need" for saturn alt along with a relocation kit, as the oem alt will survive fine with no power steering fluid dripping on it and no exhaust heat. I would rather just relocated the oem alt, but my two reasons for even bringing this up:

A. the relocation kits using the mitsu alt seem to sometimes need frame clearancing, sometimes not. Seems totally dependant on that car's specific motor mounts and frame alignment & bushings. I was wondering if the saturn alt might possibly help this situation be a different pully shape?

B. the relocation kit is different for the two alts, I would rather just buy it once than get the oem kit, then decide to go to the saturn alt later.

But after thinking about it for a night and looking at comparison pics of saturn installs, I can't see how the different alt could help clearance, as the pully still needs to align with the crank pully, and that is where the clearance issues turn up. So for me, I'm just going to order up the mitsu relocation bracket and be done with it.

I can be quite indecisive about details like this for some reason, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

1990ggsxnj

Quoting NateCrisman:
So for me, I'm just going to order up the mitsu relocation bracket and be done with it.

Just do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

150 amp GM FTW.

70 Amp Mitsu FTL. Can't remember how many I've replaced over the years.

Brianawd

Quote:
70 Amp Mitsu FTL

Our cars cam with a 90amp not a 70amp.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned