The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rustoleum black paint jobs?

fastfalcon94

Boost4U, could you describe the problems you had spraying it? (Runs? bad orange peal? not covering well? fish eyes? not filling scraches well? still being tacky afer several days? dullness? Have you ever painted a car before?

I have left over primer from when I sprayed my green car, so I'm primering my galant tomorrow. I need to decide between the more expensive single stage or the $35 rustoleum.

beaner

Thanks man. I miss that car. It was a '95. The door, both bumpers, and side skirt were spray bombed in those pics. I later added the side moldings that were part of the 97-98 talon 'kit'. Looked fine as well. Wish I had pics with that and the suspension fixed. Ah well.

Boost4U

Quote:
Boost4U, could you describe the problems you had spraying it? (Runs? bad orange peal? not covering well? fish eyes? not filling scraches well? still being tacky afer several days? dullness? Have you ever painted a car before?

I have left over primer from when I sprayed my green car, so I'm primering my galant tomorrow. I need to decide between the more expensive single stage or the $35 rustoleum.

For me my biggest problem was getting the correct mix and it was my first time spraying a car, with some more practice I could get pretty good. If I would have spent a little more time and been more careful with how I was spraying, it would have been better. All in all I probably spent about $50 on everything so with that being said take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think about how it turned out. With the rustoleum, you dont need primer but if I were to do it again I would prime it first just to get uniformity across the surface before putting on color. As far as dullness and being tacky, it cured pretty well so there was no tackyness but it got kind of dull maybe because I didnt spray enough coats or because I never washed it. It's definitly worth giving it a try if you're any good. plus $50 > $1800 in my mind. The best thing you can do is make sure all your prep work is perfect. I may give it another go one day down the road. I hope this helps. Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

fastfalcon94

So I finally got the first coat of black sprayed. I scuffed everything up and sprayed it with high filler primer (Omni 282 and 283 hardener). It's actually expensive stuff (around $120 a gallon) but I had some left over from when I did my green 3000gt. If I was doing a top quality job I would have layed down some epoxy primer first, and then sealer right before painting. But seeing how this is a $36 rustoleum job:) ($26 for gallon of gloss black and $10 for gallon of paint thinner from lowes)

I removed the chrome molding and filled it all in with fiberglass. I went through about 1/3 of a gallon honestly. I also used some to fix 2 small cracks in my front bumper and a cracked sideskirt. Sanding down the fiberglass resin was very time consuming. Then I used some bondo putty to fill in any small perfections. After that I sprayed the filler primer. I really layed it on thick around where the molding was. Then I sanded the primer down with 500 grit. I used 320 grit where the modling was just to eat through some of the high fill faster. I wasn't planning on spraying black tonight. I didn't even have the paint. It was 9:20 and Lowes closed at 10 and I was half an hour away. I decided to go for it.

I mixed it in about a 60/40 ratio of paint to thinner. It actually layed down nicely and look real good as soon as it was sprayed. Once the mineral spirits start to dry out it loses it's deep gloss look since it's just the first light coat. Also little air bubbles would form as it dries. They pop themselves. I also had some bugs make there way into the paint. When I do the final coat I'm going to do it early morning when the bugs aren't out. So far I'm happy with it. I will probably have around $100 into it total plus my time when all is said and done. The paint was horrible to begin with though. I think my trunk has hail damage. My paint was so dull before with clearcoat pealing I never noticed. The gloss black really shows everything. When the paint is done and it's buffed, I'm going to spray all the trim pieces with krylon plastic fusion satin paint, and paint the evo rims bronze.

pics

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

My front bumper is done with color matched spray paint from Napa

It's all in the prep and application that makes the paint.

58472_10150253511430508_513365507_14857442_1068022_n.jpg

fastfalcon94

I did the final (3rd coat) this morning. I wetsanded all of the orange peel away before the 3rd coat to try and make it as smooth as possible. Especially for the pieces I won't be buffing. I'm going to give it a few days now before I wetsand and buff, just to let the paint harden fully. I'm not going to buff the bumpers or lower parts of the doors. I did start to put it back together. I'm taking my time though to make sure I don't scratch anything. I'm also painting all of the trim pieces, door locks, and handles with some krylon fusion satin black paint. Overall I'm happy with the way things are coming out. I love that there is no more chrome molding.

snapped 2 pics before heading in

34.jpg

35.jpg

fastfalcon94

I decided to mix up the rims too. Rustoleum antique brass. Looks bronze. I only bought 1 can to see if I liked it. I'm going to buy a few more Monday.

39.jpg

beaner

I guess my only question with that method is how to properly wheel it out after it's all said and done. I know using a proper buffer/compound after doing the final 2000grit wet sand takes it to a completely different level of awesomeness.

fastfalcon94

yeah I haven't wetsanded or buffed it yet. I parked it in the sun for the last 2 days so the paint will harden better. I will see how it buffs soon enough.

moidsm1

he said he did wetsand between coats. He is waiting for the paint to dry for the final wetsand/buff

fastfalcon94

I used a scotch brite pad in between coats. I still need to wetsand buff I just haven't had the time lately. I finished up the wheels last night, registered it and took it on it's maiden voyage to work today. Took some pics when I got here.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

Overkill

Looks better than it did for a fraction of the cost and you can always wet sand and buff to the results you want

DR1665

Well done, sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I'm sticking with flat black for the exterior on 195/2000, but spent a little time over the weekend spraying the engine bay with Rustoleum High Gloss White. I'm pretty excited at the results.

fastfalcon94

So you are painting your engine bay bright white but the car flat black? I would have loved to make my galant white just because it's a more forgiving color. I just didn't want to paint all the door jams so I went with the stock color.

DR1665

@fastfalcon: Yes. My engine bay is all white. The engine is pretty much all silver. If anything leaks so much as a drop, I want to see it immediately.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts