The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RPM Signal

Specter

I have recently swapped a 2g 4g63t in my 1992 galant, i need to know how to give a rpm signal to the stock guage cluster. Do i need to connect the wires from the ecu to the guage cluster or is there any relay which picks the signal from the ecu and then transfers the signal to the guage. Any pics of the relay ( if there is one ) or a wiring diagram would be very appreciated.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Tach signal is fed from your igniter. Look at your igniter, there is one pin that is labeled TACH.

Last edited:

If your 1992 Galant had distributorless ignition, it should have already had the 7-pin ignitor/transistor, which has a "TAC" pin to connect to the dash tach and the ECU pin #109, as Andreas said. Its just one wire, which splits 2 ways under the dash.

Specter

No i did not have a non-distributor ignition before so the ignitor is new to me. Okay i am guessing that the white wire is the tach signal, so if i connect the white wire to the tach wiring harness then the rpm should work? it does not matter if its coming from the ignitor or the ecu right? or should i take the one which is coming from the ecu? And also, can u guide me as to what is the color code of the rpm wire in the cluster harness? is it also white?
Thanks!

Yes, the white tach wire needs to be split and fed to both the dash tach and pin #109 of the ECU.

Fever

I got another problem. I cant make 1G tacho to work in my galant. I used 1G rpm unit with calculating thingie in it. But it just doesnt work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Tryed every wiring combination but it still doesnt move. Any ideas between 1G and Galant RPM wiring?
P.s. Stock galant tacho works just fine.

Quote:
I used 1G rpm unit with calculating thingie in it.

Got a picture? You need more info than "thingie". What year DSM did these parts come off of? There is a compatability issue with our 1990 DSM's and the rest of the 1991-94 1G DSM's when it comes to the tach circuit.

Fever

I will make some photos of these. It will be more clear what am i talking about

Fever

There:
Pic-0025.jpg

Pic-0024.jpg

Pic-0023.jpg

Hmmm...don't know. Never saw those boards before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned