The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rod burn

tektic

Does the discoloration on the metal mean that these rods are no longer useable?

I did measure them and they are round and in spec.

89Patches

They can be used, if the rods have not twisted due to the heat. You normally see that type of heat scoring on the big end due to spun bearings, I have never seen it happen on the small end. Looks like someone tried heating them up to press the pins in or some sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I wouldn't bother with them, they're Eagles. I've seen second hand BNIB ones go for like $150. Maybe make something out of them. So IMO they are worthless...

donniekak

Junk, toss them. Metal that has changed color due to heat is no longer the same alloy/heat treat as when it was manufactured.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 89Patches:

I wouldn't bother with them, they're Eagles. I've seen second hand BNIB ones go for like $150.

Where? From some Craigslist crackhead who needs a fix?

donniekak

I don't care what they need the money for. I've bought new rods for $200 Several times, and new fic 2150's and 1650's for $400.

tektic

Is it ok to mix and match rods of the same make and model? May have to weigh and balance them but should be fine right?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting donniekak:
I don't care what they need the money for. I've bought new rods for $200 Several times, and new fic 2150's and 1650's for $400.

I need to live where you guys live, then. Most CL dickholes near me are asking new prices for used sh*t.

89Patches

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting 89Patches:

I wouldn't bother with them, they're Eagles. I've seen second hand BNIB ones go for like $150.

Where? From some Craigslist crackhead who needs a fix?

I got my Manley H-beams for like $220 shipped I believe. Was on tooners, like two years ago though. Have seen quite a few Eagle's go for cheap too.

prove_it

Quoting tektic:
Is it ok to mix and match rods of the same make and model? May have to weigh and balance them but should be fine right?

Yes, that rod is toast, literally.

You can as long as the dimensions are the same. Yes, I would be sure the rods are all within a few grams of each other. More critical that the pistons are balanced, but rods do play a part in it.

prove_it

Come on man, are you really going to cheap out on these?

thomcasey

You can get brand new rods for $99 each form ExtremePSI.com. no reason to go cheap, get a new good one.

tektic

I need two he's selling four and one is burned. So I have a set and one spare. Is that bad? He wants $125 was going to offer 80 and see where it goes.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts