The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Road Trips

Here are some of the road trips I've taken in my GVR4 over the past year and a half. I live in Everett WA, and I have a friend that moved to Boise ID. I've driven there 3 times. It usually takes about 7 to 7 and a half hours with at least 2 stops for gas, food, or restrooms. It's a long boring drive, but some of the mountain passes are a lot of fun. My last trip out there, there was a guy in a 350Z trying to keep up with me on the pass just after Pendleton OR and it was no contest. I would slow down on purpose just to keep it interesting, and my engine is all stock with a small exhaust leak.

From Boise we went camping at Saddleback Lakes. We had to park the car at Redfish Lake and hike up the mountain. The drive there was one of the best drives I've ever been on, and I had another person, a big dog, and all our camping gear in the car. The Ponderosa Pine Scenic Route was all twisties. You guys should google map from Boise to Redfish Lake and zoom in on the route to see just how twisty the road gets. After the mountain pass there are very long straights you can pick up a lot of speed. I got up to 125mph. I could have gone faster but my tires were only rated for 135mph, and I would like to get better brakes before I peg the neddle. On the way back I was keeping pace with 2 guys on sport bikes until we go stuck behind an old pick up that had 2 Llamas in the back.

Another time we went snowboarding at Sun Valley. The twisty mountain pass is only a short section. I was crusing around 90 to 100mph the most of the time on the long straight.

The last road trip I've taken was that was more than 2 hours away was to La Push WA where we went camping right on the beach. The drive was OK. We couldn't drive to fast because of all the weekend traffic which was a good thing because I saw plenty of patrol cars out.

One of these days I would like to drive the entire Pacific Coast Highway.

raptorWagon

Should drive coast to coast, it's a fun one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sounds good. Use the car like it can be used.

4thStroke

Quoting raptorreed:
Should drive coast to coast, it's a fun one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Especially when you dont stop except for food and fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Things get interesting when there are 4 guys packed into a truck and hammer down for a solid 44 hours.

When I picked up 786 from Greg in Bellevue, I drove straight to Post Falls, ID (my neice was born the day before, I'll never forget how long I have had my VR4) and then back home the following day. I thought drive would have drove me nuts, but it was actually pretty relaxing. Fired up the pipe (tobacco pipe, fellas), turned up the radio and didnt stop till I had to.

I have family in Boise and need to get back out there to visit them, but I'm not sure I'd trust 786 for a trip like that again.

Road trips are pretty fun if you don't have the nagging, "when am I going to get there?" mentality.

raptorWagon

I drove from VA to NC to WI to here, only stopped for food, gas & oil, and rest since I was driving by myself. In the end I met the ambassador of Yakima /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.
img0277l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

4thStroke

Mark puts the "ass" in ambassador.

Thats a lot of driving by yourself. I hope I never end up having to do that.

DR1665

Closest thing to a road trip I've taken in 464/1000 was up north to Prescott for the rally last fall. Smoked the tcase climbing the hill. AAA got me to the rally, then got the Galant home the next day. Shenanigans.

I'm headed to Long Beach tomorrow night right after work. Staying with some rally friends and driving 464/1000 to Mitsubishi HQ in Cypress Friday to interview their social media (Twitter/Facebook) team for Mitsubishi Gearbox Magazine. I've got AC, good speakers, and plenty of MP3s. Just need to get that passenger b-pillar trim to stay in place and I'll be golden.

(But yeah, I'm taking all kinds of tools and fluids just in case.)

teamhightower

Hey QuadStroke,

You realize that I picked up your car in Daytona Beach, FL and drove it back (sight unseen) to Bellevue. Two and a half days including dinner with my sister in Topeka. Daytona Beach -> St. Louis -> Denver -> Bellevue. Considering it was only running on three cylinders and the cruise control wasn't working and it needed a new battery in Atlanta, the trip went just fine.

For what ever faults it may have had, it does like to drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Greg

4thStroke

Greg, it's kind of crazy to think about that.

A stock car holds a level of integrity that no modified car will ever have (well... almost). The car had a few vacuum leaks but overall seemed quite sound, Andre appeared to have done a great job, I never would have guessed the motor was swapped if you hadn't told me. I think I only found 1 or 2 zip ties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The car is so far from stock and with me behind most of the wrenching, it's tough to put much faith in it.

dsmless

Ihave taken 96 from the owner in southcarolina and drove ig back to Tucson Arizona was my first road trip
in the vr4 it was all stock , well the motor/ turbo the drove it from arizona to Minneapolis going thru newmexico
and up thru Kansas and Iowa , that's a boring road aveage speed was 90 mph
then drove it from there to Newport news , Virginia met some good peeps there
at the VA meet drive it to DC and Baltimore and back to Va, then to niagra falls and
backto Minneapolis, and know drove it back to Arizona, the last legs from VA to MN and to Az
was with a Gt 30 and 750 cc so it ate slot of gas, I have driven thru snow storms rain showers and
some scary ass fog , I even took 96 to Mexico and ran a 13.8 at the quartermile track, so yes it's
been around alot, very happy to drive it and will take it on a road trip anytime
very reliable just stay on top of the maintenance

Boostdtalon

I've done two cross country trips. First was in my 92' Talon after $1500 in maintenance. I went from Va beach to NC to see the family than drove to San Diego taking the 20 and the 10. My return trip was in my Evo taking 40 all the way. When I bought 192 I drove her all the way from Ashville to Boone on the blue ridge parkway.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts