The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RHD JDM Galant VR4's - AMA

Right Hand Drive Galants
Hi everyone, we have 2 JDM Galant VR4's, one is a customer car and one is a car that is currently for sale.

If you have any questions about the cars or if you'd like to see any pictures/videos of anything specific, let me know. These cars are really cool, as you know (being VR4 owners), but these JDM Galants can come with some unique options that weren't available in the states.

-Front Seat Belt - These don't have the seat belt that moves when you go into ignition, they have normal seat belts.

-Rear Seat Belts - All 3 belts only go around your waste, it feels weird to sit in the back seat and only have a lap belt.

-Electronic Mirrors - You can fold the mirrors in electronically via a switch next to the mirror tilt controller.

-Rear Wiper - Great feature, used it several times in the rain. I was following a R32 skyline we used to have in the rain, it was cool seeing my rear wiper in the mirror and seeing the other JDM car behind me using the wiper.

-Hood Lights - It has 2 green lights (bumps during the day) on the 2 corners of the hood. I drifted one on a dirt road and it was helpful with keeping enough distance from the front bumper and the side curb.

-Right Hand Drive - This is always a plus. Everyone I know who's driven any right hand drive car for more than a few minutes thinks it's a much better driving experience. It takes no time to get used to.

-Air Ionizer - One of the Galants has a STOCK electric air cleaner above the rear seat (under rear glass) and is controlled by a 'hi/off/lo' switch in the center console. It's pretty quiet and really seems to clean the cabin air. Nice feature.

-Electronic A/C Controller - One of the Galants has the manual A/C controller, but the other has an electronic one. It's very different, has lots of buttons, even a little cover (you push to open) that blocks some of the buttons. It's very fancy and is factory stock.

-Looks - Obviously the looks are different; I think it's a good looking car.

-Dailyable and Road-Tripable - Very comfortable car. Lots of leg room. Clean, reliable, low mileage, rally car.[/list]

SHORT VIDEO OF ONE

QUESTIONS or REQUESTS?
If you have any questions or want to see pictures/videos of certain things, let me know and I'll do my best to help!

Last edited:

Mdlimy

Yea I felt that statement was a desperate sales pitch, it's just gets you cool points, it's more of a pain in the ass in the states than anything...

Sorry that you all felt that way. I really did not intend any of that to be a sales pitch, but rather an observation that I've made based on ~30 people I've witnessed drive RHD and most saying they enjoyed it better. It's definitely an opinion, I'm immersed in the environment where people are excited to see these cars so I feel it's understandable I've witnessed these results. I'm strictly not trying to sell or push any cars in this thread, that's what the for sale section is for. I'm just trying to have a conversation about the JDM Galant. Not every day you have the opportunity to AMA for something like this. I thought some people on this forum might enjoy this opportunity.

Dasith

"-Rear Seat Belts - All 3 belts only go around your waste, it feels weird to sit in the back seat and only have a lap belt."

^^^^^ that is NOT CORRECT.

only the middle belt is just a lap belt, the other two have both shoulder and lap belts.

marvinmadman

His video clearly shows just a lap belt on one side for sure.

GSTwithPSI

Nice cars. We can replenish some of the ranks with JDM imports I suppose. I wonder if the days are coming where everyone will be paying a USDM as f*** yo tax for USDM bumpers and other associated parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Dasith

Quoting marvinmadman:
His video clearly shows just a lap belt on one side for sure.

i should have been more clear. i meant that's not how they came out of the factory.

MX4

Agree. Of the numerous JDM VR4s & ZR4s that I have owned I have never seen lap belts on the outside seats in the rear.

Maybe the rear shoulder strap seat belt started in the later years. We've imported 2 1988 Galants and both have lap straps, which appear to be very factory.

cheekychimp

Quoting turbowop:
RHD being a better driving experience is totally opinion. C'mon, man.

Haters gotta hate !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The rest of the world knows what works best ... ahem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Nice cars all the same. Wish the Mirage came with the air cleaner on the rear deck lid, but it would have had to be installed in the sedans only. Removable board in the hatches, no rear board in the panel van/delivery models IE the XYVYX.

Last edited:

brisvr4

Quoting MontuMotors:
Maybe the rear shoulder strap seat belt started in the later years. We've imported 2 1988 Galants and both have lap straps, which appear to be very factory.

Is there a hole in the trim around the rear quarter glass? There will be if it was supposed to have a full belt.
Looking at this set of brochures it appears that stock base model 1.8 galants seem to only have lap belts?
Not fast enough to injure anyone perhaps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Galant brochures

cheekychimp

Quoting FlyingEagle:
The rest of the world knows what works best ... ahem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Tim,

I heard Obama was considering changing over to driving on the left. The White Paper says they are going to start off with buses and semis and if it is successful they will extend it to cars and bikes a week later ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Here are a few pics of the rear seat. Looks factory to me, but let me know if you any of you notice anything that says otherwise.

A member PM'ed me asking to see how the flare was mounted. See images below.

Last edited:

daspon

Do you have to go through the drivethrough and tolls backwards? My buddy imported a car into Thailand and he had a stick with a net on it for tolls - so silly

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned