The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replica Key Fob Interest Thread

Well, it looks like for 1992 Mitsubishi requested to keep costs down for whatever reason.

Steve, you could probably correct me on this, but I'd almost say that there isn't any 'indentation' on the 1992 numberings in the center at all? I can clearly see that the surface of the metal was impacted on the 1991. If you feel the center area, you should be able to feel the 1991 engraving.

After a little bit of research, it would appear that it's a Double Line Roman font. I don't recall exactly how to measure the font sizes, but if you have a ruler with .1 increments (not 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), measure the height of the 0. Whatever that turns out to be, like .12", then it'll be size 12 font.

Ray

steve

You're right, if I run my nail across the '91 fob I can catch on the engraving. On the '92 I can feel the roughness but it isn't enough to catch on. Then again, the '92 fob is very worn. I'll see if I can get a measurement on the font, otherwise I'll leave that up to MC.

mitsuturbo

The 91 looks a lot better than the 92.

What's the deadline for payment? Are you waiting for a sample back first?

Tondar

I haven't kept up with the whole thread but will there be any purposeful distinguishing marks between originals and these new batches?

We already have enough controversies with these badges, can you imagine what the scene may be 10 years from now if these badges are identical to the old?!!?

Terry Posten

I don't see these "new" fobs being worth more or less than the "original" ones because the EXACT manufacturer is making these so they are (IMO) NOS "new old stock".

In ten years, nobody should care if they are ten years old or 30 years old. Just like buying a new fender from Mitsu, it is still a OEM part even though it is 20 years newer.

Make since?

steve

It crossed my mind, but I'm reluctant to make any such change now that people have paid already.

Tondar

What I mean is that there isn't anybody stopping someone with an unbadged car claiming a number that at least as of now hasn't been found. Say the original car IS found at a later date and by then the unbadged car has changed hands a number of times. You end up in the same situation Myself and Vman are in (two different cars with the same number and not knowing how it happened and who's is original). Originality matters.... ask anyone into collector cars.

steve

Quoting mitsuturbo:
The 91 looks a lot better than the 92.

What's the deadline for payment? Are you waiting for a sample back first?

I'm going to talk to them again when they have these originals in hand. I will most likely do a sample first so you may have more time yet to order.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Tondar:
What I mean is that there isn't anybody stopping someone with an unbadged car claiming a number that at least as of now hasn't been found. Say the original car IS found at a later date and by then the unbadged car has changed hands a number of times. You end up in the same situation Myself and Vman are in (two different cars with the same number and not knowing how it happened and who's is original). Originality matters.... ask anyone into collector cars.

well, this is just the key fobs not the dash plaque. I don't see it as the same kind of issue. If you have the original fob then what? does the car get a premium price by that fact? At this point in the game I doubt it makes much difference. as for their future collector status, the only ones who will truly get to gain from that are the pristine unrested few hiding in garages somewhere. those of us with modified or even just restored ones are not going to see the same return the bone stock perfect ones will get & again I doubt having or not having the fob is going to have much effect on the price original or reproduction.

I for one am simply thrilled to have the opportunity to get one just because I should have got it when I bought the car, the guy had it but insisted on keeping it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif since I paid five hundred for a damn nice car I wasn't going to kill the deal over it.

Adorsey

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

steve

Thanks again man. I'm wondering if they might just want to use that '91 fob and change the "1" to a "2" for the '92s since that fob is in such good shape. Mailing them out today at lunch.

IncorpoRatedX

if i can get one that says 1990 and doesnt have any numbers on it, im so in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

steve

We can do that but it will be about $350-400 since a die would have to be made just for you and a one-off run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting steveGLS:
We can do that but it will be about $350-400 since a die would have to be made just for you and a one-off run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oh snap, scratch that!

steve

Quoting RayN:
After a little bit of research, it would appear that it's a Double Line Roman font. I don't recall exactly how to measure the font sizes, but if you have a ruler with .1 increments (not 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), measure the height of the 0. Whatever that turns out to be, like .12", then it'll be size 12 font.

Ray

OK so I measured 1/2 inch of printer paper and it was 125 sheets. So 1 inch would be 250 sheets. The height of the "0" is 35 sheets, which happens to come exactly to 0.14 inches. So it sounds like a size 14 font! I'm kind of surprised it worked out so perfectly with my roundabout measuring method.

steve

Yeah I will talk to them about what will come out the best. The overall shape is exactly the same, so whatever they can do to give us the best looking replica is what I will have them do. I have mailed off the originals to them and will talk to them when the originals are received!

Tondar

Yeah in my hurry to be "concerned" it didn't dawn on me that these were only the keyfobs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Makes me kind of wish we did have dash plaque option as well though, then I could take my original off and put these on and not worry if someone swipes them.

steve

It could certainly be done but there will be far less interest and so the price would be much higher.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts