The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replica Key Fob Interest Thread

Jeff, not sure about the laser etching, I wasn't involved with the 1992 fobs or plaques at all.

Iceman, that very well could be. I don't recall the details of what happened beyond their leaving GB Trophy.

Steve, that would be great. If you could also post dimensions (length/width), that'll help me determine the font type & size as well.

Ray Nelson

I have met someone (I know he's on here, just can't remember his SN for the life of me, lol), who has a 1991 VR4 with a '92 badge, apparently in the mid 90s, while his grandfather owned it, the badge was stolen, and he asked the dealership if they could get another one. They did, but it said 1992 and it was xxx/1000, even though it's actually a '91 (on the title, and it was built in late '90), so it IS quite possible they made more as spares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EDIT: remembered the guys SN, lol, it's "fastasleep"

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

Looks to be about 2 3/16 end to end. I will call MC today and make sure they will be able to do something about the pitting and wearing.

Quoting jepherz:
You sure about that? Fastasleep has a 91 and says his badge number is ***/2000.

i've seen it in person sir, it says 197/1000, and it says it's a 92, but it's a 91

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well if that is true, that is VERY strange. I hiave 197/1000 belonging to Steve Hebert, and it is (was?)a one-owner car. Now I can't say for certain if Steve still has it, but I don't recall any parting going on.

fastasleep

It's true. I have a '92 dash plaque that reads 197/1000. I can't verify if my grandfather's story is true or not, although I don't know why he would lie about something like that.

My car is a '91 and he gave me the original key fob also, which is accurate: 1991, 197/2000.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That just has to be a mistake then, because at the time they did the 2000, they would have had no idea they were going to do 1000 in 1992.

Interesting. Another 197/2000 has not come up yet, so it must be you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Well, he said the replacement came many years later, so probably after the 1992's were well past gone. I wonder if it's engraved or etched...

The 1992 fob looks 'odd'. I can understand the wear & pitting & general 'abuse' over the years, but those numbers look almost 'etched' into the surface instead of engraved. I'd be interested to see the 1991 when it arrives, I'm positive it was machine engraved, not etched.

Steve, thanks for the pic. There's still a plan to get a 1991 fob before proceeding?

Ray

steve

Yep, I'm hoping Adorsey's '91 fob will be here soon, I don't know exactly when he mailed it.

Steve, thanks. Hopefully that'll be in a bit better shape to make it easier to identify. It's possible that Medalcraft went to a different process for the 1992s, maybe in an effort to streamline the time consuming process that creating the 1991 batch involved. I can see (using a pic of a dash plaque from RAREVR4) that the fonts did indeed change between 1991 and 1992. This may be an important determining factor in this process.

Another note, and I think I mentioned it before, the dash plaques and the keyfobs for 1991 will be slightly different, due to the fact that they were engraved on two totally different brand machines. I believe we made every effort possible to match the fonts as closely as possible, but there may be some slight differences.

Now if only I could remember my co-worker's name at GB Trophy. I can only bring up a first name, Tom, but the last name must've been attached to a few of the braincells that got vaporized in those hazy days of the 1990s.

Ray

Adorsey

[Quoting:SteveGLS:
Yep, I'm hoping Adorsey's '91 fob will be here soon, I don't know exactly when he mailed it.]

I haven't been keeping up with this thread much. I guess one of my pm's never sent to you. I had sent the fob out on the 28th before noon. Im sorry I didnt catch that.
Let me know if you get it saftly!

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Ray, that's awesome. Do you remember what font that is?

89Mirageman

Wow, reading through this was pretty cool I must admit. Glad to see you guys getting new badges and fobs after all this time. I've had a few GVR4's in the past, 3 to be exact. Makes me wish I owned one now.

I guess this will make the cost of original badges go down. I've seen some fetch $100+.

steve

Quoting Adorsey:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread much. I guess one of my pm's never sent to you. I had sent the fob out on the 28th before noon. Im sorry I didnt catch that.
Let me know if you get it saftly!

It just came in today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Its in really good shape, too. OK I will get these off to MC and have a sample made to verify these are going to be up to snuff.

steve

Will take a ruler pic tomorrow.

Thanks for the pic Steve.

It looks like a variant of a Double Line Roman font, but I'm going to do some font Googling to verify before I make a final determination.

There is definitely a difference in the 'look' of the numbering between the 1991 and 1992 fobs.

Ray

steve

You can definitely see the zeros are different between the two years. The '92 fob is much shinier but I think that's only because it is much more worn. MC will be able to answer my question about touching up the mold once they see these in person.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts