The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing rubber brake lines with braided lines?

BlitzVR4

I am trying to replace the rubber brake lines with some braided lines, but the original lines are so rusted. When I try to remove the old lines the hard lines start to twist. I have used flare wrenches and a lot of PB Buster to penetrate the rust. Anybody have any suggestions on removing the old rubber lines without breaking the hard lines.

Muskrat

Since you're replacing then, grab the flex line with vice grips as close to the fitting you're trying to remove as possible to prevent it from twisting, and use a flair wrench on the fitting.

BlitzVR4

I just need to find a way for the hard lines to not twist. I may have to take a torch to it. Not the whole car.

flag24

More PB Blaster(daily) and time. Forget the torch for now. If you do use a torch eventually make sure you have a very good heat shield behind the lines protecting the body. Take your time installing the new lines to reduce twisting(stress) to a minimum. Been there done that.

Go to your local dealer and ask if they carry BG products and if they do ask for some IN FORCE way better stuff than pb blaster.

prove_it

I have tried many many liquid wrenches and by far Yield has been the best. It's fast. It loosens bolts up in less than a minute. I work in a shop in Sioux Falls SD, and all they use to clear streets of snow is salt. Rust is an everyday thing. I hate to say it though, but if Yield fails you and the lines still twist, then you should replace your lines.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts