The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing Left Rear axle (3 bolt LSD)

I have a replacement left rear axle. Any idea how to replace it? Can I just remove the 3 bolts to the cup and pull the axle down or is it more involved?

I don't want to waste time removing parts that aren't necessary, but it doesn't seem like there is much info available so I may have no choice.

Can you help me?

Thanks

kama1

Iirc just take the bolts out .

prove_it

You'll need the left rear wheel off the ground. Remove the three bolts from the cup, and the axle will then drop down far enough to clear. Put pan under the diff to catch any fluid that may leak out. Pop the axle from the differential using a pry bar (carefully) and your done. I would replace the seal on the differential too as it may not seal perfect to a new axle. Super easy to do. Just be sure to add a little grease to the seal surface so it doesn't tear, either new or old seal.

That's all, it's a pretty easy job to do. Right side is the same way also.

Thanks...wasn't prepared to need a new seal though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What do you think the odds of it not sealing are? Also, how much diff fluid will I lose? I have heavyweight shockproof in there. I am a cheap bastard and don't want to add any. I know that the shockproof will leak slow but in addition to being cheap...getting some more locally may not be easy at all.

prove_it

Your ok to skip the seal, just keep an eye on the diff over the next few weeks, if it does leak you already know what to do. As for the fluid draining while replacing the axle, if you jack up the left side high enough so the fluid runs to the other side i doubt you'll lose much if any. I'd put the pan down just in case. Have the axle ready to in and do the swap quick, you should be fine.

Came out so easy it wasn't even funny.

However, I am definitely struggling to get it back in. Am I supposed to beat it back in?

Thanks

prove_it

LOL, that needs to go into the sexual overtones page.

Anyway, no you shouldn't have to beat it in. You do need to give it a firm push though because of the circlip on the end. Try pulling it out and turning it and retrying to insert it. Be careful not to damage the seal.

Gotta push extra hard on it...hard to do with a borked collar bone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Just slide that shaft in gently and give it a nice firm push until it's all the way in. You may need to wiggle it a little to get it in.

Yep I said it.
Had to do it.

AWDPower

I forget, but I think the tri pod joint that moves in and out it is the inner joint on a three bolt axle. If so, you can use the axle itself like a slide hammer. Insert the splines into the diff, then pull back on the axle a bit to extend the inner joint. Then push it back together quickly, and the end of the tripod joint will hammer the cup into the diff. Repeat until seated.

GSX_TC

Quoting prove_it:
Just slide that shaft in gently and give it a nice firm push until it's all the way in. You may need to wiggle it a little to get it in.

Lol that's what she said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts