The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replaced blown intercooler pipe, runs terribly NO BOOST LEAKS

yubh8tn

I know what you're thinking. I have a boost leak, you're gonna say. BUT I DONT. I tested and it's holding 20psi just fine. The problem is very weird because it is running rough on idle, runs fine at cruising speed, but bogs like i blew an intake pipe when I floor it and the turbo is spooling 1-2k rpms later than it did with the factory hose.

I replaced the pipe with a homemade radiator hose setup and it ran just fine except it took forever to spool, so I tested for leaks, it had one, and changed how I had it connected to the intercooler. Now its running terribly but holds boost. The check engine light comes on during pulls and there's a loud ticking sound that scales with RPMS near/around the intake manifold.

I know you guys can't do much without being with the car and seeing what I did, but any guesses would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
By RPMS, do you mean the CAS?
cas-greenlid-late.jpg

CutlassJim

Did you leave a rag in one of the pipes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Ticking sound could be the PCV valve clacking away. I used to get that at idle sometimes until I deleted it.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Also sounds like horrible lifter tick. Double check oil level.

At your own risk. Unplug the knock sensor with SAFE boost, and see if it runs better.

yubh8tn

No rag!! lol. The knock sensor is brand new OEM but its from a 1.8L Galant, according to a few various sites they're the same though. On top of that I got it tuned with that knock sensor installed and there wasn't a problem until I messed with my intercooler pipe.

Oil level is fine but I could add a bit more, PCV valve is brand new but I guess it could be that.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, the ticking sound and CEL are new. They didn't start until I changed the intercooler pipe. I'm going to revert the pipe to the busted one that I taped together and see if it runs correctly again. If it does then I know the bogging and weird idle were due to how I connected the hosing. Hopefully the ticking and CEL go away with that fix.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Lifter tick can trip the knock sensor and enough knock can trip a CEL. Not saying that's what it is, but it could be a new symptom that is unrelated to your changes. Going back to how it was before you had a problem is a good choice, but I don't see how a IC and intake noise could be related. Hopefully something wasn't in the pipe that got sucked into the intake. Maybe do a compression check.

yubh8tn

I agree. We shall see! I'll post updates so if anyone has a similar issue they'll have some info.

Compression check is a good idea too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts