The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replace your ECU Capacitors or your car will explode. Srsly

hi i have 94 eterna twin trubo with a ecu problem
engine light, tracktion contol light and the 4ws light comes on
after replacing ecu due 2 jump staring incorrectly
and have prolems with cold starts never had that problem
before "stupiddly" helping a naighbour 2 jump start there vehical

any remerdiez would be very helpfull

Terry Posten

Yes, but they most likely have never seen one of these before and may not be able to find all the little places that go bad when acid leaks. And they may not have the correct spec caps and might try and make it work with parts that are not correct of up to par for the environment the ECU sees.

383mazda

I purchased the replacement caps and they are physically much smaller, is this normal?

The "Digi-Key PN links" are broken on the How-To site, so I tried to find the closest ones they had:

22uF 50V: P5568-ND (mfg PN: ECA-1HHG220)

100uF 25V: P5540-ND (mfg PN: ECA-1EHG101)

47uF 50V: P5570-ND (mfg PN: ECA-1HHG470)

Have caps just gotten smaller in the past 20 years, lol??

Caps on my board are in good shape though so I'll wait to swap them.

Thanks for help!

fuel

Yes, much like how computer processors and hard drives have got physically smaller in time capacitors too have shrunken. Always make sure you retain the correct capacitance, but if the exact voltage is not available you can safely substitute in higher voltage units.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting 383mazda:
Caps on my board are in good shape though so I'll wait to swap them.

They HAVE to be swapped out, period. Do not wait. This is the only advice you can accept for this era ECU/TCU.

Do it, forget about it and never look back. They can and will leave you stranded otherwise.

383mazda

I only meant I'd wait until I got a reply or found the correct caps - turns out what I have will work, so I'll be swapping them this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for help guys!

Jvimpty

I did this last weekend while changing out a heater core. Ordered parts from Mouser:

Part numbers and links here:

RoHS: Compliant1
667-ECA-1EHG101
ECA-1EHG101
100uF 25V
click

667-ECA-1HHG220
ECA-1HHG220
22uF 50V
click

667-ECA-1HHG470
ECA-1HHG470
47uF 50V
click

In case folks wanted another source, some of the links in previous posts had gone dead.

Jeremy

rada974

Hi, Today I opened the ECU and despite seeing the capacitors well I am in the doubt that the 100 uf is 16v and not 25v as you indicate, so I see the previous owner took the ecu to the service. I leave that capacitor or change it by what you indicate?

Regards

simo

I wanted to stess the importance of replacing the capacitor in the ECU. The capacitors used are electrolytic capacitors which means they are acid based over a period of time and heat cycles they will expand to the point where they will become porous and will leak acid on the board. Know symptoms of this is random stalling, a fish like smell, injector(s) not working. I know there is more, maybe Jeff will be nice and chime in.

REPLACE YOUR CAPACITORS! or else you will be mad.
Have done mine and also replaced the large ignition diode. Very easy to do and huge difference

Howie

Just an FYI when mine went bad it smelled like old seafood that was left in a hot car for a couple of days.

simo

Hi guys. I make a habit of replacing the capacitors on any electronic control board including ECU's that are over 10 years old. It's very easy to do yourself. With Mitsubishi ECU'S, I also replace the ignition power circuit diode. (Only very fat on the circuit board) Costs about $15 Australian for the parts. Mine is a 1988 E39A and since all capacitors have been replaced on everything, the vehicle runs great, everything works except the ABS unit which is C still to be done. The problem with the ABS is occasionally when braking, even lightly, the ABS triggers on the right front wheel. (No light on or codes logged) everything tests ok so will replace the capacitors in the ABS ECU and see what happens. 297,000 KMs and still driving well.
Awesome, thanks man, sending you a pm btw

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts