The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing Grille and clips

citymunky

Is there a trick or something? I just don't get it, no matter what I try I always break a tab or clip when removing a Galant grille from the car. Remove the retainer clips from grill is also a pain in the ass. I been using long needle nose pliers
p77394b.jpg
, what I'm doing wrong?

GVR4kauai

I used a long skinny flat head when removing mine for the first time, worked great didn't break anything.

mr.mitsu

I use a similar needle nose pliers like in the OP.

However, mine are bent at the end and curved for removing vaccum hoses.

89Mirageman

Look at the grill from the front and locate the clips. Take a long flat head screwdriver as mentioned and push down on the tabs while pulling on the grill a little. Work from one side of the grill to the other.

383mazda

Anyone having trouble installing them back in?

I ordered new clips off the internet and they wouldn't seat in the grill, so I had to trim a tiny bit from each "anchor" on the clip - got each of them to snap into the grill perfectly, but now they won't snap into the core support??

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If things are straight where the tabs hold the grille in place, then finger pressure should be all you need to manipulate the tab to the side, and like the others said, work from one side to the other, going top to bottom.

I used to use pliers and stuff and then realized I broken most of the retainers. Now I stock up on spares just in case. Someday it will become that "NLA" item we all dread seeing.

383mazda

I'm still having no luck with these "aftermarket" clips. They look like the stock ones but someone obviously got the mold wrong. Got them from clipsandfasteners.com or somewhere. They'll clip into the core support, but then you can tug them right back out, they don't hold at all.

Guess i have to source some OEM ones...

Mr_Fielgood

In my experience some clips work and some don't. I just kept trying different clips until all of them locked into place. I had a whole bunch to choose from at my job so it was convenient.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 383mazda:
I'm still having no luck with these "aftermarket" clips. They look like the stock ones but someone obviously got the mold wrong. Got them from clipsandfasteners.com or somewhere. They'll clip into the core support, but then you can tug them right back out, they don't hold at all.

Guess i have to source some OEM ones...

I can look this weekend. I may have some of these.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts