The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

remove alternator

paul j

I am trying to remove the alternator on 1551.
This is so basic I could not find it in archive and vfaq did not help, but I need help anyway.
I need to remove the ps pump belt but cannot get it off. It appears the outer water pump pulley has to come off first. I have the alternator loose and the belt off and can not stop the wp pulley from turning when using a wrench on the bolts. I don't think putting the belts back on will help that much. What is the proper procedure for removing a alternator?
Thanks

paul j

Thanks TMG. This is what I need. I checked archives again under alternator replacement but did not find this. I will check under General discussions for curiosity sake. This should be in the How To Archives.
Paul

paul j

In the harness that has the two connections to the alternator there is one that runs up to the ps pump. Can this be disconnected from the pump without something falling out? It would help clear a path for the alt.

mistaVR4

TMG: Good find!

paul_j: Just to give you a good example of how to use our search function, as this topic probably has at least 10 threads with different methods and ideas.

Go to the search screen, select ALL FORUMS.

Then in the search field, type +alternator +removal (the "+" tells the engine those are the only keywords you want, if you use the "-" before a word it will remove that word from your search) you will get all posts covering this topic.

There used to be a sticky thread with detailed instructions (more detailed than what is shown on the search page but I couldn't find it?)

Anyway below is a picture of how you would get optimal results for alternator removal from our search engine:

Click to enlarge:

CarRacer

The search howto is in the news section. It has some very nice banter by Hertz.

mistaVR4

Good call, that's what I was looking for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

SmoothCustomer

You should be fine removing that line at the ps pump without anything coming out. To get the ps belt off though, you need to turn the pulley until the bolts line up through the holes. There is also a bolt on the back of the ps pump then it can move plenty to get the belt off. But just out of curiosity why would you need to remove that belt? I just replaced my alternator without having to take that belt off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

paul j

Everything I read said to pull the ps pump over and up to the right. I did it because it looked like it needed to be out of the way. Thanks for the thought that maybe it is not even necessary. I think I will experiment.

toybreaker

iconoclast
If you're going to try and wiggle it out of there with the radiator in place, you should stick a big piece of flat cardboard up against the back of the radiator.

This will minimise the trauma to the radiator core/fins.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts