The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Redwood build thread 1695//2000

Redwood

Hello all I figured it was time for me to start a build thread, maybes it will help me get this car back on the road this way.
Well I get 1695//2000 back in October of 2011 after I going to my first year at the DSM/EVO Shootout. I had been looking to get a Talon TSI, but I saw a couple Galant VR4 there and was like this is the 4g63 car for me.

This is what it looked like when I first got it.
img.php
img.php

After getting it I checked at all out to find the good and bad in clean it up a little be more then what the guy that had it before he had done. With the regaler maintaince stuff.
img.php
img.php
img.php

I didn’t have much plans for it at first other then it being my daily driver and keeping her clean.

First thing I had to do though was paint the door window trim I couldn’t take it being half white and half faded black. Ti turned out pretty nice for just a ratlle can job.
img.php

Didn’t do to much to it for a while but drive it for a bit, I did get the windows tinted nice and dark tho. these photos are from the day It back for the tint shop. I thought it made her look pretty damn nice.
img.php
img.php
img.php

Then one day of running late to work I let her get a little to hot… and I blow up the radiator and put a 8” crack down the top of it. So I started to tear her down the next week. And that’s how she sites right now which makes me sad. But I have not been just sitting around doing nothing most of the time.
So I took it all the way down to a bare block and had it bored .30 over honed and what not to start a rebuild on her.
As of right now I have everything but a fmic for it and other misaleus little things to get to put it all back together.
So she is getting 2g pistons on 1g rods, bored .30 over
Stock head with supertech nitrade coating std size valves, kiggly beehive springs and titanium retainers, evo 9 rocker arms, 3g lifters, kelfold 272 cams
FP 76hta turbo
South Bend Clutch SS-X Pressure Plate Combo w/ TZ/B-Series Disk
With a 4 bolt LSD rear end
Hopefully I can get up to around 450hp ish with this set up, I guess we will see once its running again and gets tuned and dyno.
Im sure there is something im missing but this should be good for now.

over the last week i have been putting in long nights of work on her and hopefully will be able to have the car ready for the tuning and dyno time coming up in the next couple of weeks.
img.php

this is how it the motor sits right now should have have the timing done up tonight.

GSX_TC

In for the first reply! About time you made a build thread man.

Redwood

yea i figure since im putting in so much work on it now that it should be done then if i come across something im not sure of i can just post it here.

Redwood

img.php

img.php

img.php

getting more and more stuff put on the motor. should have it all timed up tonight and start preping for manifold/ turbo mock up...

Redwood

came into work today and found my motor mounts and intake all powder coated and ready to be put on. should have most of the block all back together by the end of the week.

Redwood

got more stuff on last night. just a few more things and the motor will be good to go back into the car. just need to finish all of the pre-work first.

GSX_TC

Are the letters on the valve cover going to stay orange too?

GSX_TC

Silver? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redwood

not sure yet. but that would look nice thats for sure. i was thinking aboot parts of it being blue, and then another color as well but not sure yet what im going to do. i am also going to put so color on the intake aswell around the eci multi area

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Setup looks good.

2000GTX

That thing looks REALLY REALLY nice.

How much did all the cost you?

Quoting Redwood:

motor is all ready to go in now.

Redwood

Quoting GSX_TC:
Setup looks good.

thanks man i have put a lot of time into her to make it look at nice. just got to get the car all ready for the motor to be put in now.

2000GTX
way more then i want to know at this point in time. i have just been throwing all my recipe in a folder right now.

MellowVR4

I always try not to think about how much i have spent on my vr4 so far, All i know is im not done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

thecman02

Any updates? I stumbled upon this car at my friends shop? You have a good chance of making the power you want at Force if they are dyno tuning it.

G

Staff member
Looks nice. You should really ceramic coat that header and o2 housing while you have the engine out. That alternator is going to get fried.

GSX_TC

Or just relocate it to the back, unless he's planning on keeping a/c?

minneSNOWta

I like that orange theme. Are you going to do the lettering in blue?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned