The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recommend some wheel spacers?

GSTwithPSI

I'm looking to pick up set of wheel spacers for the rear of my VR4. I have a set of Evo 8 Enkei wheels currently on the car, and the Rear wheels sit in noticeably farther than the fronts. I'm looking for a set of spacers to even out the stance of the car. I know zero about wheel spacers. Questions:

-Who makes a decent wheel spacer
-What's typically a good thickness (I'm thinking 5mm?)
-How thick can you go while still using the factory wheel studs?
-Anything else pertinent that I'm missing???

If you guys could fill in some of the blanks for me I'd be grateful. Thanks!

turbowop

H&R 5mm spacer in the rear will be perfect. And they come with studs that are longer as well, which are super easy to install in the rear. I actually use 5mm spacers front and rear on my car since the only LM's I could find were +40. I run more camber in the front than the rear, so they look even.

SouthCaliVR4

I have bolt on H&R's that are about 23mm. very good quality & biggest benefit, they retain the hub centric ring. generic spacers will push the wheel off the hub enough to loose that aspect, leading to vibration issues.

The spacers I have gave an even front rear trac width. I don't think 5mm will have a significant effect unless you needed just a smidge of clearance to clear the wheels.

SouthCaliVR4

I would just go to the H&R site & look up the part number you want then google for the best price. they have galant specific if you're still four lug or go dsm if you've got a five lug swap.

turbowop

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
I don't think 5mm will have a significant effect unless you needed just a smidge of clearance to clear the wheels.

You'd be surprised at what an extra 5mm does for the look of a car.

SouthCaliVR4

^^Fair enough, I had to let my pup out while I was posting. Didn't know you had them on yours. And I gotta say yours has a really good stance.

turbowop

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For what it's worth, if anybody uses H&R spacers on the front, don't use their studs. They're too short. For whatever reason, the OE stud length in the front is 5mm longer than the rear. And when H&R created longer studs for their spacer kits, they based the length off the rears, making their front "extended studs" just a hair too short.

When I had pressed in my front hubs by a local machine shop, I also had them install the new studs since they're behind the ABS rings and are a gigantic pain in the ass to get at. I realized after I went to bolt up wheels that they're the same damn length. They work, but I'd like some more meat to thread on to. I find I have to retorque the lug nuts now after a few miles when I do a wheel R&R. I don't have to do that with the rears and I attribute this to the stud length. But I've made long trips after that 2nd retorque and they didn't loosen at all.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
But I've made long trips after that 2nd retorque and they didn't loosen at all.

But, I thought you never drove your car??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts