The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

recommend me an awesome slimfan...

turbowop

I'm surprised it works better than the factory fan. The OE fan has always seemed the best option to me and worked better than anything aftermarket I have used, but unfortunately won't fit with my setup.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, I think the fact that it's a 14" fan is what actually does the trick. I operated each fan side by side (the SPAL and the factory puller) and it seemed like there was a noticeable difference in the amount of air moved by the SPAL.

The 14" fan didn't actually fit the radiator that great. You can see in the pic it hangs below the end tank on the bottom. I had to notch the shroud a bit to get it to clear. There's a tiny gap between the fan shroud and the radiator as well. I was worried this would affect performance, but it seems to be working great so far.

I have the SPAL fan and the other no-name 12" slim fan wired together to come on at high speed via the factory fan switch. Soon, I'll wire them to a relay controlled by Link. I wanted to make sure the fan setup worked before I went through the trouble of wiring it into Link.

turbowop

Wiring it to 'link is as simple as intercepting one ground wire that goes to the fan switch, but it can be tapped into near where the stock battery location is. You can actually solder the 'link wire to it and set the parameters for when you want it to pull that wire to ground, or you can shut that off in 'link and let the factory switch do it's job. That way the fans plug in like stock still.

donniekak

Quoting turbowop:
I know that the ECU can't control the fans on 1g cars, but if they did an output similar to the FPS and EGR solenoid outputs, and added temperature control parameters, it could probably work. Maybe?

My fans are controlled with those outputs. One comes on at 175, one at 195, and they both shut off wot. This really helped with fuel pump voltage at high rpm.

GSTwithPSI

Well, it was 91* today, and I drove the car to work again. Stop and go traffic on the way home, and it never got even close to hot. I think it's safe to say this new fan is a big improvement.

matt92vr4

Thats great news. Congrats. I can't idle mine for more than a couple minutes currently. Will have to try your setup. What radiator is that?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned