The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilding drive shaft. To fill or not to fill

Terry Posten

I am in the middle of this project.

I am really second guessing the idea of filling the brand new bearings with window weld.

I have seen two new rebuilds vibrate badly after the filling of the bearings.

Well, what you you do?.

Fill or no fill.

I filled mine. Love it.

I have also rebuilt a few and it is my opinion that the vibration is likely caused by damaging the yokes while replacing the u-joints. There are several ways to remove and reinstall the u-joints, and some are far more abusive than others. The yokes aren't exactly huge on these driveshafts and I believe that one ear can get bent and push the centerline of the u-joint over a couple thousandths of an inch, and therefore result in a vibration.

rdomeck

I don't think filling them would be good for a daily driver or even a fun weekend car. I believe the vibration is more even if nothing is bent. It's like running solid engine mounts. Just my thought's!!!

Struc

When I rebuilt my driveshaft, I did not fill them. It seems to me, at least when new, they will be fine.

You can always fill them later if they start to fail again 10 years from now.

transparentdsm

i fill mine, just fill them before installing them on the driveshaft. i think it makes for a better ride. stiffens everything up in my opinion.

marvinmadman

I filled mine on an original drive shaft and hangers and didn't experience any vibration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just smoother operation when launching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I didn't fill it with 3M windoweld. I used a softer silicone. I use 3M windoweld for motor mounts.

Last edited:

Diego

Quoting galant1517:
I filled mine. Love it.

Justin filled mine as well.

curtis

No....... I've actually seen them where the rtv/silicone/3m got to places it shouldn't have.

Scott Y

I have a set of filled-before-installation carrier bearings. They were on the car only as long as it took to get some new unfilled replacements put on.
Lots of high frequency vibration that intensified with road speed. I hated it. I used Window Weld, same as I used on some of the motor mounts.
If you want to cover shipping, you can try them out and see what you think.

scooter

I'm pretty sure window weld is way to hard. I've been using 100% silicone for 12 years now on countless dsms and has always worked great. I without a doubt could see how window weld wouldn't work. if they are wore and sagging I always try to center them or take them off to fill. Don't want to fill it sagging to one side. Its like motor mounts. Window weld will vibrate you to death. Silicone seems softer than the factory rubber in a mount. Just my two cents.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned