The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuild Lasted 600 MIles

rmontalvo23

Recently got #330/1000 on the road after picking it up in NorCal last March.

Got the first 500 miles on her and then did an oil change. 100 miles later, this happened. Actually happened last night (Valentine's Day)

So another rebuild will begin this weekend. For those more knowledgeable guys reading this, any ideas as to what may have caused a belt to rip apart like this with only 600 miles? It is a Mitsu OEM belt that we bought brand new. In order to keep this from happening again I wanted to get some suggestions/tips about this.

Also since I'm tearing the engine apart AGAIN, I'm going to upgrade the internals. So anyone selling pistons (20 over) and some rods please hit me up with prices. ARP head bolts also needed.

JCorbo25

t-belt snapping horribly usually is caused by a seized balance shaft or oil pump from my understanding. I'd start there.

Barnes

Are you sure you bent valves? (However unlikely it is possible you didn't bend any.)

What other t-belt related components were used during the build? How was belt tension set?

rmontalvo23

Balance shafts were removed so that's one I dont have to check. Once I pull the head off I can pull the cover off the side and check the oil pump to see if it seized up.

rmontalvo23

I didn't put this belt on myself. I had another forum member assembly this motor. I'll have to check with him to see how he set the tension. I'm pretty sure we had a new tensioner put in.

rmontalvo23

I was going about 70 mph when the engine cut out so I'm pretty sure those valves are bend. After I pulled over I tried to start the car and the engine just spun free with no compression.

jepherz

Staff member
Belts are ruined with oil or water or antifreeze on them, so check for leaks in the belt cover. Other than that you could have a snapped balance shaft belt get stuck in there, but you said you don't have any so that isn't possible.

dsm10o0

I was the one who put rebuilt the motor, the timing was set dead on with new tensioner and pulleys. There weren't any leaks on the car when i finished it in january. Car ran good but its weird it happened suddenly out of no where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

rdomeck

I have heard of the wrong bolts being used in the oil pan that are too long. The will rub the outside of the belt and put grooves in. Over a short period of time it cuts though the belt! When I read about it I did check my fresh build and luckily I didn't have that problem, but you might!

DynastyLCD

Quoting rdomeck:
I have heard of the wrong bolts being used in the oil pan that are too long. The will rub the outside of the belt and put grooves in. Over a short period of time it cuts though the belt! When I read about it I did check my fresh build and luckily I didn't have that problem, but you might!

+2, my first initial thought as well, however i don't see the telltale groove on any other part of the belt.

Terry Posten

Sure looks like something seized by the way belt is ripped. Are the camshafts able to spin? Did a timing bearing seize?

Sucks to see.

rmontalvo23

Quoting Terry Posten:
Sure looks like something seized by the way belt is ripped. Are the camshafts able to spin? Did a timing bearing seize?

Sucks to see.

If I turn the key the engine spins just fine but of course with zero compression. So the cams are moving around just fine in the head. No knocking noises or anything like that from the top of the motor.

rmontalvo23

Quoting dsm10o0:
I was the one who put rebuilt the motor, the timing was set dead on with new tensioner and pulleys. There weren't any leaks on the car when i finished it in january. Car ran good but its weird it happened suddenly out of no where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The car was running amazing the entire time after the rebuild. Even when the belt snapped I was running fine and then all of a sudden with no noises or knocking sounds the engine just shut off. At first I thought maybe the injectors cut out. I coasted for about a mile as I tried to go from the fast lane to the right shoulder. It's really odd, if something would have locked up I think I would feel the engine jerk, but I had the car in 5th most of the way as I coasted to a stop.

Saturday the head will come off and I will take pictures and post here as I try to find the problem. Appreciate everyone's input here, I will check all of the things you guys are mentioning.

rmontalvo23

Quoting boosted_85:
Are all cam caps in the correct order? are the cam caps the original caps for the head

The head was sent to the machine shop for a complete overhaul. I am assuming that they would have put it all back together correctly but will double check.

rdomeck

Quoting rmontalvo23:
Quoting Terry Posten:

Sucks to see.

If I turn the key the engine spins just fine but of course with zero compression. So the cams are moving around just fine in the head. No knocking noises or anything like that from the top of the motor.

You would not hear anything from the top of the motor..........As it's currently not spinning!!!!

MitsuDriver274

+1 on a seized cam, im interested to see what the problem is.

Terry Posten

The belt turns the cams. As soon as the belt broke, the cams could no longer spin.

If a cam (by the looks of where the belt is broke, the intake cam) seized, the belt would either snap like you see it or shread all the grooves off the under-side if the belt.

If I was a betting man, I think a camshaft (probably the intake) seized causing a very sudden stop of the belt, that resulted in the crankshaft gear pulling the belt to shreads.

You would not feel anything but a sudden engine shut down. And you most likely would not hear any noises before, during, or afterward.

If a camshaft siezed, find out why? Assembly error, botched line bore job, oiling issue, etc...

You say the machine shop rebuilt the head, but did they also install the cams, rockers, and gears and you just plopped the head onto the block and bolted it down? Or did you assemble the cams into the cam journels and assemble it from there?

mitsuturbo

Please tell me you didn't use some oil pump other than OEM. Especially topline or something similar.

I've seen this happen more than once with other than OEM oil pumps. Looked almost exactly like this, too.

dsm10o0

Quoting Terry Posten:
You say the machine shop rebuilt the head, but did they also install the cams, rockers, and gears and you just plopped the head onto the block and bolted it down? Or did you assemble the cams into the cam journels and assemble it from there?

the head was sent out to have new valve seals put in. I told the machine shop to not fully assemble the head so I can easily put in new 3g lifters. All cam caps are in the right order and torqued to spec.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts