The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebirth of #1759

dustyduff

Long Version:
I figured I would make this post instead of continuing my "Newbie" introduction thread. Here

I picked up #90/2000 knowing that it had a salvage title at some point in it's life. The car was registered and driven by several owners before I picked the car up. After taking the car to my friends house to begin the teardown, he noticed that the frame rails were bent, so I had some reservations about even building the car. Ed (throughfaith323) happens to be a friend of my friend who’s helping me with the whole build. Ed recently picked up #1759 in order to part it out and sell most of the aftermarket parts. Considering #1759 was a clean shell and my shell was not worth salvaging, Ed and I worked a deal to swap shells. Ed didn’t want to part out a perfectly good shell, so the trade worked out for the both of us.

Short Version:
I bought #90 with hopes of beginning a VR4 build
Throughfaith323 bought #1759 to part out
My car had bent frame and throughfaith323 and I worked a deal for #1759

Adrian (illeffectVR4) the previous owner of #1759 had a clean and tastefully modded car in my opinion. It’s a good example of what I’d like the car to be when I’m finished with it. Hopefully I can bring it back to its former condition.

So far, the only thing accomplished is that we primed and painted the engine bay, while I finish getting a bunch of parts back from being powdercoated/ceramic coated. Engine bay was done in a fresh coat of white, so I figured I would be conservative and go with a basic powdercoat color. All the miscellaneous items in the engine bay will be gloss black and (either Chrome Smoke or Black Chrome, can’t decide). I have batch one done, but have another round I’m waiting to send. Some items include:

Wiper Arms
Windshield Cowl
Scatter shield
Crossmembers
Motor mounts
Valve Cover
Scatter Shield
Misc. Brackets

Heres a link to my photobucket account containing some of the pictures (don’t mind the fingerprints). Here

The next round going will consist of the following parts once I decide on a color:

Tial BOV
Tial Wastegate
Plug wire plate
Intake Manifold
Intake Pipe

I have a built engine ready to be transplanted into this beauty. Details are below:

Engine:
Fully built 2.0 Engine
Manley I beam Tough Rods
Manley Pistons (CR 8.5:1)
Manley 1mm over Valves
Manley Retainers & Springs
Bronze Valve Guides
ARP hardware throughout
3G lifters
BC 280 cams
OBX Adjustable Cam Gears

I’m going to be ruinning an FP3065 Turbo and FP Manifold. Hopefully it will be running with DSMLINK V3 once I get the upgrade from V2.5. I have a ton of other mods, but I’ll just leave everything for the member showcase thread, unless you want me to do a rundown here. I figure it’s more fun when you have something to look forward to. It’s basically going to be a fresh build of #1759 using a new setup that has some parts from #90’s setup.

I’m working on building a “Member Showcase” thread, but I want the car to be in a road worthy condition before I post there. For the time being, I’ll join the JSB Crew for the next few weeks while we get the car pieced together.

The link below has a few pictures to keep the thread interesting until we make some more progress:

VR-4 Pics

I’ll keep updating/bumping this thread as I make progress for those of you interested.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Good luck with it man, glad she ended up with someone that will take care of it the right way. Its a fairly clean shell compared to others out there. I personally looked at at least 12-15 vr4's before I purchased that one. 1759 was the least hacked and little to no rust (just a bit on the bottom of the front doors). She never let me stranded.

fivestardsm

Looks like a very nice project!

One thing though, IMO, ditch the OBX gears. My friend bought some, and the frickin timing marks were off. He sent them back for another set, and they were also wrong.

Just my $.02

gtluke

Werd
Just use stock cam gears, lord knows they will be set at zero anyway.

dustyduff

Thanks for the insight on the OBX gears. I bought them for dirt cheap, but didn't do any research on them before purchasing. I'll try to off these for the same price I picked them up for and find a set of Fidanza or AEM gears.

I should have some more pictures up in the next week or two once I get the motor mounted in the car. The motor sure looks "Puurrddy" just sitting around though.

I'm planning on running a dual fuel rail setup, one for meth and one for pump. It's definitely going to be a clean/unique install when I'm done.

turbowop

A fuel rail for methanol? Just do a nozzle or two in the upper intercooler pipe. I don't think there are any injectors out there that can handle 100% methanol for long anyway.

dustyduff

The car was being set up as a weekend warrior occasional drag car. They do make methanol specific injectors, but they are extremely expensive. I've since changed my mind, but I'm still going with a dual rail setup. One for pump and one for race gas or E-85. I do appreciate the feedback though and the OBX gears are gone and I'll be running Skunk2 gears instead.

Anyway, on to the pictures of the progress. Progress is slow, but deliberate to pay attention to the details. I still have a ton of parts waiting to come back from powdercoating, but at least the motor is in the car now.

Before any one comments, the IM will not be staying on there. And the bracket between the trans and motor mount is going to be replaced once powdercoated (see my WTB ad).

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

381gvr4

Damn, super clean start. Sinced I missed it, welcome to the board!

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Looks good. I miss that car. Can I have her back when you're done? lol

dustyduff

Dbossman: The trans is not new, but a fresh build from DogboxRacing in New Jersey. The trans was there full race build, but I cheaped out and got the welded center diff. Things are starting to move along even faster than the last picture I posted. Should have another update by this weekend. Thanks for all the comments.

dustyduff

I can't recall off the top of my head, however I don't believe it was more than a Grand. After revisiting their website, their prices and packages have definitely changed a bit. I had the tranny built about 2 years ago and had it on my 1G AWD (only put about 500 miles on it). Once I tore that car apart, I sent it back to Dogbox and had them "upgrade" it to the race build since everything was still mint. Alex & Brian are awsome guys and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the future.

JSchleim18

I have spoke with them in the past. Great guys. For a "stock" rebuild and a 4-spider center diff, it is $1,200

The $1,200 includes a core right? If so how much is the core reimbursment?
Just curious.

dustyduff

Not really sure about the core price, but you can always check their website out. Their prices definitely increased since I had the trans built a year and a half ago.

dustyduff

A little more progress made since getting the second round of parts from powdercoating and ceramic coating. Got the manifolds and turbo mocked up, but just some teaser shots for now. I still have a long way to go and a few more parts to purchase (i.e. oil cooler setup/coilovers/brakes).

The car will be getting painted before the final showing too. Waiting to wrap up the engine bay before sending out for body work and paint after winter. Enjoy the new pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Might be hard to tell in the pictures, but everything powdercoated will either be "black chrome" or gloss black finish. I can't remember the ceramic coat color, but I think it was a Tungsten finish, but looks really good compared to the black chrome.

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Lovin' the clear t-belt cover...very nice.

381gvr4

Lovin it!!!! So squeaky clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

dustyduff

Well, we made some additional progress with #1759 over the past few weeks. Took a little while to aquire the remaining parts to finish the build. I'm currently waiting on a package from JNZ to button up the rest of the engine bay hardware and clean up the resevoirs (new caps). Haven't started on wiring yet, but waiting for AEM injector driver box. Hope to have the car running and off to paint in the next two months, before moving on to the interior. Should be ready for interior just as Curtis finishes the EVO seat brackets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, enjoy the pics. Changed a few things:

painted "magnus" on intake manifold
JMFab small battery kit installed
Fuel pressure regulators installed
powersteering and oil cooler installed
FMIC mounted
few painted "cleaned up items" (i.e. cas, p/s pump)

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

The pictures are pretty good, but you have no idea how clean this really looks in person. Can't wait to see the car finished and painted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts