The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear subframe bushings help

bmxr152

Okay so ive had this thump come from the rear passenger area of the vr4 for a while now. I tried filling the propeller shafts, then bought new oems ones. Then i replaced the U joints and shimmed the drive shaft and eliminated all the vibration at cruising that was there. Now i still have a vibration in first and second only at WOT and at the top of the rpm. It feels like the passenger rear is sucking down and thats when i feel the vibrations like a bad carrier bearing.

i was thinking maybie its the rear end bushings, what do you guys think. Oh and is there any whay to test the bushings without dismantling everything?

curtis

Jack up the rear of the car and put it on jackstands then take the jack and place under the hub just behind the rear rotors and lift and see how much movement you have in the mustache and rear subframe bushings. These will go bad and sometimes aren't just an upgrade item. PM John (boostx) and see if he has any left in stock cause I've been out all except the ones for my car.

bmxr152

Well today i jacked up the car and put pressure on the bushings and it looked like they move about a half inch or so up and down. As soon as i make contact with the jack i can pump it once and watch the rear move up a half inch. Is that normal play, or is normal play zero movement and just abortion of vibrations mostly?

vapid

Just for reference, iirc I measured approx. 1/4" of compression/play in the rear subframe bushings on a brand new rear subframe with poly mustache bushings.

When I put the poly subframe bushings in, there was no measurable amount of compression. It lifted off the stands pretty much instantaneously.

curtis

You can remove one of the bottom washers at a time and inspect to see if you have large rips or cracks in the rubber. But 1/2 inch slop doesn't sound good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned