The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear steering fitting

johnnyRacer

The lines that connect the rear steering lines to the front rack and the rear rack; What size are those fittings specifically. I kwnow we can use a M14-1.5 drain plug. But is that all I need to repair my line, a M14-1.5 thread on male fitting?

GVR-4

The plugs can leak. Some people have not had problems with them leaking, but others (including me) have.

Muskrat

When I did this one plug worked perfect, the other wouldn't thread all the way. I ended up having a wleding shop weld a 2" piece of the line closed, and used the stock flair nut.

jepherz

Staff member
The problem with replacing the stock parts is they use an O-ring to seal on the inside of the rack. If you just throw in a Ford oil drain plug, you're attempting to create a gasketted seal on the outside surface of the steering rack. I did exactly this at first, and ended up going to welded factory fittings to actually fix my leak.

If you search on the board there is some info about what fitting you can get (actual steering fitting, GM I think) from summit and just swap those in.

johnnyRacer

I'm not eliminating the AWS system. I'm trying to repair/replace 1 line that has a pin hole leak and replace 2 rusty chewed up fittings. I just wanted to know what is the exact size and type of the fittings that screw into both the rear and front racks. I really like the AWS when its working properly. I'm just not ready to get rid of it at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Ahh, I got you. The lines you're talking about, are they hard lines or soft? I think a few people have posted recently about the hard lines being still available, and others have mentioned getting soft lines remade by hydraulic suppliers. Worst case scenario, you can re-use the stock fittings (possibly?) and just have someone remake the lines with those.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts