The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Quarter panel window wind noise

383mazda

I just tackled this job, time to update this thread with pictures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is a pretty easy job, toughest / longest part by far is cleaning the old "tar" off the window and car. I used some plastic spoons, WD40, and an entire roll of blue shop towels (and of course some alcohol to clean off the WD40...)

Here's the "tape." I searched far and wide for this; Autozone, O'Riley's and NAPA all looked at me funny, a body shop in town had it though, you can also order from on line (Amazon, eBay...)

So pop each window out and get to cleaning. The WD40 dissolves the tar a little / makes it slippery. PB blaster, gunk remover or anything similar will work as well. Just scrap till there's a thin layer left, then keep attacking it with rags, it will take a while, probably an hour per side...

Here's mine, both were missing sealant on the long side of the window - lots of wind noise!

Yeah, it's nasty

And don't forget the car side too

So now that the windows and body are nice and clean, free of any stickiness, dirt or left over WD40, time to install new sealant. I found the easiest way was to stick it on the car first, right along the edge:

I then covered it back up with the wax paper for a fit check to make sure there were no gaps. I bolted the window back down and slid another section of the wax paper around the edges to check to check for a snug fit.

If no gaps are found, stick 4 rubber washers to the body next, and then install the window "fo real"

No gaps = no wind noise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And here's a shot of the back side of the panel, both of my sides were missing clips. They just pull straight out from the body, so start from the bottom and yank that one lose, then stick your hand up behind and keep prying them out until the whole panel pops out.

strokin4dr

Good job. Thanks for updating with pics!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned