The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear diff whine!

xaisomboun

So I've had my GVR4 for about 4-5 months now. I've been slowly starting to notice all these small flaws it has and one of them is this!

So this whine only happens when Im deccelerating in gear down a hill. It doesnt really make any sound under accelerating.. I've already tried that "uneven tire pressure" thing and it didnt seem to do anything to the sound.

What does this whine mean? Is it going bad? Do I need a new rear diff? Should I change the fluid?!

This only happens when I deccellerate down-hill!

transparentdsm

so i just started to get bothered by mine and mine sounds crazy now. almost like a wuub wuub wuub that almost slaps, for a quick fix i went to vfaq.com went into drivetrain and followed the drive shaft thump fix with pictures. its your driveshaft carrier bearing bushings. fast 5 dollar fix. then go on ebay and type in eclipse carrier bearing and it will come up with polyurethane bushings and order those. i just added the silicone and ordered the bushings.

xaisomboun

I thought the carrier bearing fixed only fixed the thump when shifting? Anyways I already did that fix but I only did it to the rear bearing, but I guess Ill do it to the front one as well..

Im prettyyy sure its not the carrier bearings, if Im wrong shoot me down now!

transparentdsm

i just think its the bushings, but without being in the actual car all i can do is give my best guess. im having the same problem and i glued it and made it better in some areas and worse in others. im going with poly to make sure im solid.

fuel

mine does the same, and if I'm deaccelerating down a hill in say 3rd gear at 30-40mph it will make the car jerk and shudder.

jepherz

Staff member
When I put all poly bushings in my car, and filled the rear subframe bushings with window weld, my diff got noisy on decel. Do you have stock bushings all around?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts