The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear diff Removal

Nabeel

I am to take off the rear diff for pinion & ring change and I need some tips before jacking the car. What to do & what to not?

fuel

Nabeel

That is helpful Mr.fuel
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

leave it in the car? Just take off the driveshaft, mustache brace, and diff cover.
Check the backlash in the ring and pinion when you are done, swapping the ring might cause some differences. If it's not within tolerance you'll get noise and premature wear.

Nabeel

Did i miss something? 6 bolt + 1 bolt for the pump & still wont to come out. It seems stuck. I tried to hold up the upper bolts while dragging the diff. to rear. I removed the mustache.
I spent almost 3hrs trying. any idea?

Nabeel

I did tried placing the jack under the diff and raising it up a little. It did not work.

raptorWagon

I suggest placing something like a spare tire or donut up underneath the diff when you do this..
Take a big flathead and pry around the sides as well as use a rubber mallet to pound on it, eventually it will start to move and slide out. Just need to help it out a little and you will be all set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but make sure to be clear of the differential when it is about ready to come out completely!

Last edited by a moderator:

DR1665

Ah ha. 2 17mm bastards up top. SEARCH STILL WORKS.
/goes back under 195/2000

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned