The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear defroster

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So I steamed off some old tint from the rear window, but in the process did scrape some of the defroster lines. In places I can see the yellowish line, but the black has been removed. I suspect that I will need to apply some conductive paint in those locations to fix these, correct? I have not tested yet, but suspect if I removed the black it will no longer conduct current.

Any one with experience with this?

Thanks.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Permatex makes a kit with a stencil, whereby you brush that conductive paint into the opening in the stencil.

I suspect you scraped off more than was desireable. Testing with a multimeter may not yield good results because you can get voltage with one
strand of wire in a cable, but not be able to carry proper current. Probably best to hit all the suspected spots with that kit.

A multimeter would at least tell you if there was a clean break. I supposed you could use a test light for this sort of scenario too ... been a while since I did that, so
cannot comment on how well it would work ... but I am thinking it would only work best at the window attachment points for a test light.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ good advice

I'd be a little leary of using an old school test light on the individual filaments.

... they draw a sh*t ton of current and might zorch the individual grid segments

Just get the defroster grid repair kit and have at it.

... some searching might bring up a "hello kitty" stencil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

You could buy a thermal camera and turn on the defroster to find the cold spots...

You know if money is no object.

OldHairyBastard

I think Ryan has the best answer! Quoting Hertz:
Might I suggest a Chicago Bears logo...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't see a reason to devalue the car more. I will stick with the Packers license plate frame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif @ the bears sticker. You can use the sound function on your multi meter to test for the open circuit. Will work on the defroster.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts