The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear caliper replacement

So I’m working on my VR-4 and I’ve read a lot of people have it the issue of finding calipers, I can usually find one caliper. What are you buying or using to replace your calipers? I’d like to have the ebrake again but not a big deal if I don’t have it. Also running stock size wheels. I thought about looking at Mazda Miata calipers but im unsure of the bolt pattern differences.

Any info I can get is much appreciated.

tyeler18

Performancepartout sent in a big batch of rear AWD calipers for a rebuild and I believe RTM? Or someone posted on dsmtuners that they were rebuilding them again. I have a stock pile of cores I need to send in still but theres a few companies rebuilding them now at least.

Bstiles

Saw some guy on tuners state that he used fwd rears on his awd - with a little bit of grinding done on the caliper near the abs sensor I think he said??

gvr4ever

I had my mechanic rebuild my original brakes. It took him awhile, and I don't know if the rebuild bits are still available (this was about 2-3 years ago). Trying to find a shop that can rebuild what you have without breaking the bank might be a better option.

Bstiles

I had my mechanic rebuild my original brakes. It took him awhile, and I don't know if the rebuild bits are still available (this was about 2-3 years ago). Trying to find a shop that can rebuild what you have without breaking the bank might be a better option.
The rebuild kit is $3 from rockauto. I have one on my 1g that's seized tho. Haven't taken it off the car yet to see if I can get it unstuck.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The big issue is the parking brake. If it was not used or from a real salty area, the rotating drum can be seized in there. I have not checked myself, but if you are looking to get a rebuild kit, check if it contains the parts for that function. Many probably don't.

galantgti

Are you guys talking about oem calipers or aftermarket ones ? Ive got aftermarket ones in stock , with e brake, eventually some for sale as well

clydeseminole

I just got a rear caliper rebuilt, I sent it out to a local facility by me that rebuilds caliper cores. They had all of the parts, I don't think the rebuild kits are "rare" or no existent. I sent it out in the morning and got it back in the same day sealed in a box with new hardware.

flyinguff

I just got a rear caliper rebuilt, I sent it out to a local facility by me that rebuilds caliper cores. They had all of the parts, I don't think the rebuild kits are "rare" or no existent. I sent it out in the morning and got it back in the same day sealed in a box with new hardware.
Hi! I saw your post that you had a caliper rebuilt. I'm having a hard time finding reman unit or even a place that will rebuild it. Could you send the info of your rebuild place please? Thank you.

gvr4ever

I'm afraid the mechanic I used seems to have capped his client list. I still keep in contact, but I generally have to wait to hear back. I think he just got to a point where he can choose what he works on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts