The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Raised shifter base

mitsuturbo

I know this isn't helpful, but what is the point of doing this? Already, with any "short" shifter installed, it comes close to, or in contact with the console when pushing the selector right/left (especially left). This seems like it would only add to that problem, as well as make it more difficult to cover adequately with a boot.

Im looking at it and it seems like it would introduce wobble on the base itself.

But what's the point of this?

EHmotorsports

Bringing the shifter base up with a short shifter will allow the driver a more comfortable shift due to not having to reach down for the shifter. I don't know if I would do this to a street car unless it cleares the plastics. This idea also applies to moving your gas peddle forward or backwards in order to heal toe with better ease

xaisomboun

^^^Exactly as stated above me. Ever since I've owned this car, I feel that it would be more comfortable if the shifter assembly was just an inch or so higher from where it stands.

I looked into this a while ago and I've seen people gone as far up as 2 full inches and still fit it underneath the center console (with the leather boot of course)

I know that 1st or 2nd worlds fastest Galant VR4's owner has done the same in his setup I believe.

citymunky

I have 1g shifter assy with spacers like that and it fits fine under the center console.

rdomeck

Not sure if anyone has them on the shelf, but I could make you a set. I run a fabrication shop and these would not be hard to make!

DR1665

Quoting Prolab:
But what's the point of this?

It's also fairly common in rally cars (which don't have sequential boxes). We add lightness to shave tenths off laps times. This is the same thing. Putting the gear lever an inch closer to the driver's hands on the steering wheel can shave tenths off gear changes.

I'll be doing this on 195/2000. Probably re-positioning the hand brake and extending the lever on that as well.

20120612_101215-e1340862839166.jpg

(Not 195/2000, by the way.)

xaisomboun

Still looking for spacers. If anyone knows the 4 bolt measurements for the base assembly, they could save me a headache taking off the center plastic and measuring myself..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts