The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator fan runs constantly - PO wiring special

dammitjim

My engine fan currently runs any time the key is at ACC and I'm trying to sort out some strange PO wiring. I found the mess below next to the battery.

There are two wires coming out of the middle of the fan that appear to go to the motor and are wired directly to switched power and ground.

In the pic the blue/black wires at the connector go to the top of the fan.

Is the white connector for the temp switch under the fan?

Are those two loose wires coming from this harness supposed to be connected to the fan motor?

Are there any common failures that would motivate someone to hard wire the fan like this?

photo%2B2-704227.JPG

dammitjim

Ok, I found this which seems to confirm the loose wires should go to the fan motor.

108194-0-0-0.jpg

Last edited:

maroonmetallic

Does anyone have pictures of the harness routing by the battery tray & where everything connects to???

I removed some harnesses from my old 92 Galant LS & I think I figured out the A/C fan & relays (drivers frt corner) but I'm still not sure how the passenger side of the chassis wiring is supposed to route & what it connects to.

Thanks in advance!
-Shawn

CutlassJim

The plug in your hand looks like the one that goes on the temp sensor in the bottom of the rad. Naybe that's why the fan's on all the time?

EDIT: I didn't read the post just saw the picture. A lot of people will bypass the resistor on the fan to make in just on off instead of off/high/low. The wires shouldn't be getting power all the time unless he also bypassed the relay. Or with the bottom plug undone as a safety it turns the fan on all the time. Time to buy a test light!

Double EDIT: Is the fan too short for the rad? According to the picture it shouldn't have that connector and probably came from a DSM. It's been so long since I've had stock wiring I can't remember.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned