The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

"TEL" Shifter?

Im looking for a new shorter shifter for my car so I looked it up under search. All I found was some posts talking about a "tel" shifter. Im guessing that stands for talon, eclpise and laser. So whats the deal is it shorter then the galants shifter?

Romanova

Little shorter and a little shorter throw. I like mine...

i have pics of them side by side, but for some reason i can't put the up.
i can email them to you if you want. the bottom half is the same length but the tops are very different. the tel is almost half as short on top. so the shift is significantly smaller (and the knob is ALOT lower.

i like it.

The lever is exactly 3 inches shorter. This of course lowers the shift knob and shortens the throws.

Its too low IMHO. One of these days I'm going to make spacers to put under it to raise it the three inches I lost.

Mark

what brand do you guys recommend, also did you have to change the stock shift boot?

The brand I think that most would recommend is Mofugas, which has since gone out of business. It's not really a brand anyway, since it's a Mitsu part that they stocked, and now someone (Josh I think? DSSA maybe) else is selling. If you go to www.vfaq.com and spend a few seconds looking around, you'll find a very comprehensive comparison of various shifters and installation instructions. Excellent pictures. No, you don't have to change the boot, but several on the list (myself included) have switched out the stock accordian style for a leather shift boot. It looks great, and if you go too short of a shifter, the stock boot can bind up.

Okay. I'll bite...where the heck do we get the leather boot now, it makes me sick to look at this accordian thing and longer...I've only had the car for a month
shocked.gif

4orced4door

The boot and shifter you need can be found in a '91-'94 TEL. You can't use the stock boot as the new shifter is just too low and bunches up the boot, making it way too hard to shift. The TEL boot is pretty simple to put in (although getting the center console out is a PITA).

I don't see how anyone could want the old tall shifter back after using a TEL shifter. I don't know how I lived without it. I think it shifts great.

BluFalcon

quote:Originally posted by Minjin:
The lever is exactly 3 inches shorter. This of course lowers the shift knob and shortens the throws.

Its too low IMHO. One of these days I'm going to make spacers to put under it to raise it the three inches I lost.

Mark
I'm using the shift knob out of an Integra GSR
shocked.gif
on my TEL shifter in my GVR4. With a 2G shift knob, I had to use a lot of leverage to try and get the car to shift right. The GSR knob is leather, weighted and slightly taller. It's still shorter than the the stock GVR4 shifter, but a lot easier to use.

Romanova

Have fun taking off the center console. It's a pain in the ass...

vr6eater made boots and they were beautiful. i think he would still you one (and hopefully one for me too) trust me, once you see his work, you'll cave in.

i too would like the shifter to be a little bit higher but i think i will be able to get used to it. if you don't want to do get a tel shifter, another option i thought of was cutting the 's'part out and welding it back together.

Gabor

His head is going to be pretty big from all the compliments. C'mon guys give credit where it's due.
His wife does all the work.
smile.gif

Good job!!!

Gabor
692/1000

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts