The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quiet street muffler

JNR

Quoting citymunky:
You are the 1st person that I heard say that beside maybe a old school muscle cars guy. To me 4.6L Mustangs sound hollow.

Interesting, as I didn't think I was the only one to think it sounded hollow (the nissan VQ 6 cylinders)...In fact, come to think of it, the maxima and altima 3.5 sound really similar, although would think those have a different cam(s) than the Z or Infiniti models, so maybe not as pronounced. And thinking about it some more, I want to say the 3.7 isn't as bad as the 3.5 on the Z, as far as pronounced 'hollow sound' and of course (stock) the infiniti's seem quieter overall. I don't know the 100% reason (going off hearsay about the cam LSA), but I've noticed this since the first time I heard a 3.5 Nissan. Want to say I've heard some Z's that sound better with aftermarket exhaust though, so guess there is hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I more of a lopey V8 guy a far as ideal sound, but do appreciate and like other engines' sounds, but guess I'm really particular and used to hearing them, so I can tell the difference between a ford SB vs a pontiac/buick/olds vs a SBC vs a BBC and of course if it's stock or not, despite the volume.

Just hope I can find a good balance on this 4.0, as it's just a little too quiet, although it's going to be hard to overcome the intake sound of the variable runners (thinking that must be what makes the sound) once I remove the tube silencer!

gvr4ever

Quoting Chicago1:
Darkstar had a diesel truck muffler on his 1g. 3" with dual tips. Looked stock and was freaking quiet. Pushing about 500+awhp and had a cutout when you actually wanted to hear something. I'll ask what muffler it was but it was quiet.

Please let me know. I'm not in a real hurry, but its something I want to take care of in the next month or so.

snohacking

Quoting James:
Go with that vibrant muffler that I can't think of at the moment! The black dual tip one.

+1 it is a very nice sleeper looking muffler plus the dual tip fill the bumper opening pretty well.

DDM

Nice thread. I have the same problem!

GreenGSX

When I built the exhaust for the One Lap VR4 we spent some time thinking about how we were going to survive the "drone" for 3000+ miles. What we ended up with is a Magnaflow muffler and two resonators in/near the stock cat location. We used two different length resonators, short/long, to cancel out a broader range of frequencies. Its not perfect but it does work to our standards and it is quite livable on long trips. If I wanted it to be quieter outside the car I would shrink the exhaust tip down to 3".

The resonators didn't do much to hold the power back and with a big 2" dump tube she barks pretty good when I getting into it.

Tim

curtis

Actually the 350z system above could be built for the vr4 with first an elbow and a flange and then run a pipe across the car between the gas tank and the mustache brace. Now the fun part. lets say you run a two inch id pipe 2 ft and find a 1.999 od pipe 3 feet to slip in it one foot, then with a long piece of threaded rod down the center you could move the lenght to kill a desired drone point/freq. Then by cutting the pipe in half the freq etc should be the same.

Every ones car and combo is different so really couldn't just copy for the masses but with some experimenting you could actually kill the noise at a certain RPM and when that number doubles ...as in 3K and 6K. I remember parts of a lecture once when the professor was explaining at a know rpm and twin exhaust pipes of a combustion engine facing each other perfectly the noise could be made silent because the 2 pipes would cancel each other out but all flow would have to be perfect, pipe diameter and distance away would have to be perfect ....All a bunch of theories but for a huge generator at a set rpm this type of thing would be killer

cheekychimp

Quoting gvr4ever:
Quoting Chicago1:
Darkstar had a diesel truck muffler on his 1g. 3" with dual tips. Looked stock and was freaking quiet. Pushing about 500+awhp and had a cutout when you actually wanted to hear something. I'll ask what muffler it was but it was quiet.

Please let me know. I'm not in a real hurry, but its something I want to take care of in the next month or so.

+1 I'd like to hear about that too!

mitsuturbo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think a straight 3" out looks pretty stock-ish, myself. This is what i like, so this is what i did. To each their own...

Now tell me.. just how "non stock" or modded does that look, to someone (most people out there) who doesnt know our cars come with dual tips?

JNR

How'd you get that hole in your tail light?

Yeah, adds to the sleeper look for sure.

Chicago1

Sorry boys but not much info. He said he doesn't remember. It was a truck muffler 3" that's all he remembers. Sorry. He sold the car last year I believe. You may be able to search under "Darkstar" on nAOSIC, tuners, talk, or ecmtuning to see what you can find. Sorry I couldn't help more. He's out of DSM's into TT v8's now

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts